Testy (Jojen)💜

I groaned, plopping next to Bran with a smile already on my face

I groaned, plopping next to Bran with a smile already on my face. "What's wrong, you Grump?" I asked, propping my arms up on my knees as I looked at the boy with a pointed expression. He shrugged and I raised my eyebrows. "You know I'm not letting this go, Brandon Stark, you might as well just give in."

Bran sighed, the ghost of a smile pulling at his lips at my stubbornness. "What's between you and Jojen?"

My eyes found Jojen across the group, sitting next to Meera, and softly smiled out of habit. "We're engaged."

A scowl settled on Bran's face. "Why? You don't love him."

"Since when has that ever mattered?" I asked. Bran shrugged again. "You know, I felt the same way when I heard that I was to marry a boy I'd never met," I admitted. Bran looked at me with a sad expression. "I hated my parents for it. He was my age, though, which is lucky. And I was allowed to write back and forth with him so over the years I got to know him. Really, I just had this friend and then when I turned ten my parents told me I would be marrying him when I was older." My face warmed and I laughed. I looked at my feet but I could still feel Bran's eyes on me. "When I met him I was twelve. Thought he hated me, he was so quiet and distant. He never smiled. But then we had two years to get to know each other in person, meeting once every month. I was lucky. He's a good man and after this, when we get back, we'll be married and I think I will be very happy with him."

The quiet stretched until I looked up at Bran. "Do you love him?"

I smiled. "You've finally asked the right question." My face heated more and I crossed my legs Indian Style. "When he and Meera set off, he told me. The night before he was to leave was the night of our monthly visit and he told me that he was sorry but that he would be leaving for quite a while. He cares about me, and he felt guilty for leaving me. I refused to let him go without me. I told him, I said, 'Jojen,' which you see was rather strange because I'd been calling him 'Lord Reed' to tease him for the longest time. But anyway, I said, 'Jojen, you will either take me with you or I will scream and reveal your plan.' He seemed to like that I refused to stay home like some worrying mouse, waiting for him and never knowing where he was or in what condition or how far he was from me. So I came along."

Bran tilted his head. "But you could have died. Still could."

My smile grew as I looked at Bran, my voice lowering. Osha, nearby, was pretending not to hear but I could see her smile. "I left because I love him, Bran. And I would rather die by his side then stay at home worrying and never knowing without him. I want to protect him as much as Fate will allow." Bran grew very quiet. "What prompted this?" I asked. When the boy didn't respond, I leaned over and nudged him. "You don't like me do you Bran?"

He looked up, the shock and horror in his eyes enough to attest to me that he most definitely did not, even before he spoke. "Oh, no," he shuddered. Osha looked at us, managing an amused smile and as our eyes met, I winked at her. She returned to the rabbit she was skinning, shaking her head at my antics. Bran had blushed and he shoved me, causing me to laugh.