I'll Be Okay (Sam)💜

A/n: Rewriting this because it was total shit. You're welcome.

-

My eyes moved across the faces of the people in front of me. Searching their eyes. Looking into their faces and pulling out what I wanted to see. Tugging at those emotions they so desperately protected. My words had power, I could see it, but the last few stragglers had to be broken by my look. "It's okay," I said, beginning, making a few people in the crowd flinch at my anger. "I'll remember what you did to me." Another pause and I stepped down, hard, from the box I was standing on. My right hand moved across as I pointed to the crowd, accusing them all as if they were one person. Speaking to all of them at once. "When all the dust is cleared away, when all the stench and filth is gone. I'll remember how you treated me, the abuse you gave me." I flared, my voice raising and my eyes widening a bit, my chin raising. "Don't your DARE try to act the innocent with me!  You damn well know, as sure as there is a brain between your ears, - you damn well know!" My hands came in to me as my face twisted with agony. "All the little nit picking and whispers and all your little evil streaks. YEAH," I managed, letting my voice falter and crack as my eyes watered. It had taken me a very long time to learn to how be able to cry on command. I was rather proud of myself. "I won't forget any of it." My voice was quiet and emotional. Sad. Broken. Not angry. "You consider what you have done for me help? Sure, to a certain extent it would be improper for me to disagree with that but you acted like it was... justification for you to mistreat me." I gasped, running my hands through my hair. "As if... like you had permission to treat me a certain way because of your so called help." I enunciated the word with finger quotes. My voice hardened again. "That's giving someone a helping hand, while socking them hard in the face when they try getting up. It's trickery! It's twisted! And it's WRONG!" Each accusation was powered with a step and a stare and my voice raised a little more. "And what you have done to me during that time, will come back to you." I paused again, looking at the audience around me. The sunlight hit me and I let that last pause stretch only an extra moment before I stepped back, looking at my feet and submitting in order to not put my audience at edge with me as they were with my character. "Thank you." My voice was soft and horse and I bowed.

Roars and applause rose and I smiled as everyone surged forward to put a few bills in my guitar case. I wiped my fake tears away and comforted those who approached me, worried. Genuinely worried. What a compliment.

Eventually the crowd cleared away and I gathered my things, taking a swig of water as I got ready for the new set. Before I could get into it, a voice caught my attention. "Have you ever thought about taking a partner?"

I looked over. There, was a man. He was muscley and tall but he smiled softly, looking down at me because of height difference only. He was too friendly. Too open. Too welcoming and warm. Like he was actively trying to draw me in. My jaw worked a second. "In life?" I asked, glaring.

He laughed. "Uh, no. You're not my type, sweetheart. A bit too young for me." My eyes slit but my body was tense and nothing about me eased. I didn't trust him. He nodded, understanding. "I meant in the little acting thing you have going on here. The performances."

Placing a hand on my hip, I shot him a dubious look. "Claiming to be more than just a pretty face? Or is it an empty offer?" Not that I was considering it, but I liked to mess with cocky guys like this. His fake friendliness irritated me. He was trying too hard and it made me uncomfortable.

The man laughed. "You're funny. Not me, though. My younger brother. I'm okay if I want to be but he's brilliant." He paused, chuckling. "Don't tell him I said that."

Still unsure about him, I dropped my childish attitude and got into business mode. He shifted to match my change. "Show me this brother of yours," I sighed, conceding. He nodded, pointing me to a direction as he turned and began walking the same way. I followed after him. We walked in silence. I heard the boy before I saw him. The crowd blocked him from view. The man separated from me, moving through the crowd and out of sight as I moved to the front, watching the boy. The brother.