Simple (Thomas)

I was behind stage playing guitar. My sister was in her play and I was waiting for her to come out. I'd seen the play a million times in rehearsal and just really wanted to sit and play.

I strummed on my guitar and a few people came in and out as their cues came and went and their scenes started and ended. They'd sit in front of me and watch, requesting every so often if I'd finish while they were still there.

If there wasn't someone in to request, I'd sing my favorite song: "See You Again." No one had heard it all the way through yet but each individual part got its own compliments.

I guess I could sing. I guess I could do a lot of things. I accepted myself and my talents and din't particularly like or dislike anything about myself. I didn't have urges to check and recheck my reflection for any reason. I didn't have any reason to change my outfit more than from pajamas to day clothes and back again.

I was pretty, I suppose. Average. I was talented, I guess. I could sing and play guitar-not something every plain Jane could do. I could act, I've been told. I didn't do much of that.

But I liked how I made people feel when I did those things. I could communicate my emotions through acting and singing and playing guitar because I was too shy to tell anyone anything verbally. I did like that about myself.

So maybe there was something I especially liked about myself...

Ah well.

I looked up and saw someone come in. They looked busy and I'd just finished so I sang my song.

"It's been a long day
Without you my friend.
And I'll tell you all about it
When I see you again.
We've come a long way
From where we began
And I'll tell you all about it
When I see you again.
When I see you again."

The thing I especially liked about this version was that I found a video on YouTube where the rap part was made into a song and I sing that too.

"Who knew?
All the planes we flew-
Good things we've been through-
That I'd be standing right here
Talking to you
'Bought another path
I know we loved to hit the road and laugh
But something told me that it wouldn't last
Had to stitch up
Look at thing different,
See the bigger picture.
Those were the days
Hard work forever pays
Now I see you in a better place.

How can we not talk about family
When family's all that we got
Everything I went through
You were standing there by my side
And now I'll be with you for the last ride"

I paused, letting the cord ring a second before I continued.

"It's been a long day Without you my friend
And I'll tell you all about it
When I see you again.

We've come a long way
From where we began
And I'll tell you all about it
When I see you again."

I thought of all the people I lost. Family, through death. Friends, through unfortunate mistakes we can never take back. I let my emotion travel through as I ah'ed and ooh'ed. Then I let my voice get quiet.

"First you both got out of our way
And the vibe is feeling strong
And what's small turns to a friendship
And that friendship turns into a bond
And that bond can never be broken
The love will never be lost
And when brotherhood comes first
Then the line
Will never be crossed
Established it on our own
When that line had to be drawn
And that line is what we reach
So remember me when I'm gone

How can we not talk about family
When family's all that we got
Everything I went through
You were standing there by my side
And you'll be with my for the last ride

So let the light guild your way
Hold every memory as you go
And every road you take
Will always lead you home
Home

It's been a long day without you my friend
And I'll tell you all about it
When I see you again

When I see you again."

The last chord echoed for a second before the clapping started. I smiled and looked up, but who I saw made me blush.

"Wow! That was brilliant!"

"Thanks, Thomas," I said in a small voice.

Thomas was the lead in the play. He was 5' 10" of blond gorgeousness with a killer smile and girl-catching eyes. Bonus, he was super talented himself and even more down to earth. He was funny and got shy in the most adorable way when you complimented him or asked him to perform anything for him.

Easy to say, I'd had a crush on the school's heartthrob for years. I'd noticed him in elementary when he was too shy for anyone else to notice him. I was his first girl who swooned over him and the only girl he didn't know did it.

We'd been friends way back when but then middle school came around and he tried out for the play. We'd been pleasant in middle school. I'd sit behind him in class, sat somewhere around his table at lunch. We'd nod in the hall. But when high school rolled around, I became non existent to him.

So the fact he was talking to right now was nice, but I doubted he knew my name.

"Why don't you join the play? Or the musical! Or... Something! Everyone should hear that!" He beamed from ear to ear but I could feel the blood drain from my face.

"I- I- I couldn't d-do that I- I'd fall f-fl-flat a-a-and d-d-"

"Calm down!" Thomas said soothingly. "I didn't realize... I was like that too. When I was younger. Super shy and introverted. I understand."

I doubt he understood. I seriously doubted it. He didn't have a sister in the spot light all the time and parents who urged you to do the same. Pushed and prided and looked down on everything he did. He didn't have.. I internally sighed. It didn't matter.

I nodded. "Thanks, Thomas."

"Don't mention it... Hey, do you want to have lunch with me?" He asked.

I shook my head. I wouldn't be drawn into the world of the populars. I wouldn't let anyone force me into the spot light. Not like last time. "I have practice," I said, the rehearsed excuse not a lie or a truth.

I had to practice singing. But not for any reason in particular. I sat on the stage and ate food as I strummed and when I was done, I'd sing a bit here and there.

But it kept me away from people.

Thomas seemed to understand something immediately and he smiled. "Can I join you?"

My mouth snapped shut. I'd never been asked that before. People tried to bring me out, never putting themselves in. I was a task, a challenge. Many populars had played the Reveal-The-Shy-Girl game and had failed. None had tried to come to me, only bring me to them.

"Sure," I found myself saying.

"Great!" He said, beaming.

Then he realized it was his cue soon as the techs came in reminded him and he waved at me. "See ya then!"

I gaped after him.

What just happened?