Chapter 18

Even when I woke up on Monday morning, my hangover wasn't completely gone. My head was throbbing and my entire body was still sore, as was Rocky's. However, we were well enough to get by which meant we had to go on with our lives. The kids were finally over their sickness, so it was back to school with them. They had gotten a little too used to sleeping in; it was a shock to their systems when Rocky and I woke them up and drug them through their morning routines.

I had been noticing little changes in my relationship with my husband during the past few weeks, but one that shocked me happened during breakfast. "I have some time before I'm needed at work," he told me. "How about we take the kids to school and then go pick up the groceries together?"

It shocked me because shopping was never one of his favorite chores. Sure, he did them every once in awhile. But he usually did it out of obligation, or just trying to help me out so I didn't have to go through the trouble. This time, there was something different about his offer and I was curious. "Why?" I asked him as I helped Mason eat his food. "Not that I don't love the idea. I'm just a little confused."

"So I can spend some time with you, of course." He got up from the table and cleared Avie's and Carter's dishes for them. "Go get your shoes on," he told them. Then he turned his attention back to me. "So you don't want me to go with you?" He pouted, but a smirk formed on his lips so I knew he wasn't really hurt.

"I'd love it if you went with me," I said as I rolled my eyes. I cleaned Mason up and got his shoes and jacket on before picking up the keys and tossing them to Rocky. "You're driving, though."

The drive was a lot different with both of us in the car. It was unusual, since he usually went to work and I did the running around with just Mason in the backseat. I wasn't used to actually making adult conversation. One of my habits was talking random nonsense in a soothing voice to my little boy so he didn't cry.

In the store, Rocky pushed the cart with Mason in the front of it while I scanned the list in my hand. "We're supposed to talk about our bucket lists today," I informed him as my eyes searched up and down the rows for the specific brand of coffee that we liked.

"I thought bucket lists were for dying people," he said with furrowed eyebrows. "Is there something you aren't telling me?" He had to struggle to get multiple boxes of items out of Mason's hands. "You can't have Raisin Bran cereal!" he told our son as he yanked the box away. Mason started to cry instantly. "Oh, so I'm a bad guy now?" Rocky sighed. "Most kids would be happy to not have to eat gross raisin cereal. I just can't win with you."

I rubbed Rocky's lower back before handing him the list and taking over control of the cart. "You're pushing it too close to the shelves," I informed him. "The trick is to push it down the middle so he can't reach anything." I pulled a cup of crackers out of my bag. "And a distraction like snacks always helps. Anyway, bucket lists aren't just for dying people. They're about living life to the fullest and achieving goals."

"Well, I've always wanted to go zip lining," he shrugged. He tossed a couple boxes of dinner mix into the cart and crossed them off of the list. "Not boring zip lining either, like the ones they have at amusement parks. I mean like through the trees, in a forest. The crazy shit you see on the Travel channel, you know?" He looked back at me as I nodded thoughtfully. "What about you?"

"Definitely not zip lining," I said with a shudder.

"You scared, babe?" he teased.

"Um, yeah." I shook my head at him as he laughed at me. "What! That's dangerous! The line could break and then what? You're plummeting down into the trees, where you could get really hurt. That better be the last thing on your bucket list just in case you don't make it through."

"Hush, you worry too much. Seriously, what do you want to do?"

"Mine will sound silly compared to yours," I sighed. "I'm not as adventurous as you."

"Lay it on me."

I thought for another minute as I searched the shelves for my favorite soups. I picked up a few and tossed them into the cart before answering. "I want a tattoo. Something relating to the kids, so that they'll always be with me even when they grow up and leave the house."

"Just come with me next time I get one," he shrugged. "That's not silly at all. It's sweet, just like you." When we stopped walking once more to pick up the next thing on our list, he placed a sweet peck on my forehead. "But surely you have something a bit more... I don't know... worthy of a bucket list. Anything in your wildest dreams?"

"There are some places we never got to travel to before we had kids," I said thoughtfully. "I've always wanted to see pyramids in Egypt. Or see the Mayan temples. Walk along the Great Wall of China. History like that has always interested me, but we settled down before we ever go do those crazy things. Okay, your turn."

"That's more like it!" he encouraged. "Umm, I want to scuba dive along a coral reef! Or through a shipwreck site!" he said excitedly.

We were starting to really get into it then, listing dream vacations and goals until we had finished the entire shopping list. As we waited in line at the checkout, I leaned my head on Rocky's arm. I was on some sort of high after discussing all of this. It made me feel like anything was possible. I wanted to do all of it and more. "Hey honey?" I asked suddenly.

"Mmhm?" he responded.

"Promise me this wasn't all just talk? That we will actually do some of it?"

"Of course," he said with a sweet smile. "I promise."

Sometimes you just have to get your hopes up.