Chapter 28

I don't think anyone could have been prepared for Rocky walking through the front door. I chewed on my lip nervously, with one arm around Carter and the other around Avie on the other side of me. As soon as he heard the door, Ryland scampered away and hid behind his closed door. I took a deep breath and welcomed my husband. "Hey honey," I smiled weakly at him.

"I love you," he said to me as he sat down next to Carter. "Hi bud," he said and ran his hand through Carter's darkening hair. "Are you okay?" Rocky looked just sick with worry as he looked over our boy to assess any damage. Carter nodded and hugged his dad. "I love you," Rocky whispered into his ear; I could tell he was close to tears.

Avie crawled over my lap and over to Rocky. "What about me?" she pouted, which made Rocky laugh and pull her into his arms as well.

"I love you, too, Avie bug," he assured her with a kiss on the forehead. "Why don't you guys go play while I talk to mommy, huh?" They both nodded and hopped off of the couch, leaving us alone. "Baby, come here," he cooed to me and tugged me by my shoulder so that I could cuddle into him.

I needed his embrace so badly.

"I'm sorry you had to deal with this alone," he sighed. He ran his hand up and down my back slowly as I tried to calm my shaky breaths. I had to keep my cool for Carter, but I was just completely torn apart inside. "I should have left the office. Family is the more important than any job."

I buried my face into him and took a long, deep breath. "Maybe we should revisit the school issue," I sighed.

He nodded and opened his mouth to say something, but movement in the downstairs hallway drew his attention. He turned around and saw Karlee scampering from the bathroom to Ryland's room. "Ummm-" he furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Talk to Ryland," I said quickly.

Rocky kissed my forehead before he stood up and walked hastily and tapped on the door with his knuckles. I peeked over the back of the couch and watched as he stood in the hallway with his hands on his hips. He tapped his foot impatiently as he waited for Ry to answer. The door slowly opened and a smiling Ryland stood there. "Well hello, bro. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Hey," he said sarcastically. "And Hi, Karlee." Ryland's face turned pale. "Can I speak with you privately?" Rocky asked.

Ryland turned around and apologized to Karlee before stepping out and following Rocky to the living room. "What's up?"

"You know what's up," Rocky rolled his eyes. He sounded completely frustrated. "Is there something you need to tell me? Did you sleep with her in my house?" He was starting to use large hand and arm gestures, so I could tell it was going to escalate. "You better tell me everything right now."

Either he had some secret power as his older brother, or Ryland knew better than to mess with Rocky when he was like this, but he confessed everything immediately. "Karlee needed somewhere to stay so she's staying with me here and we slept together sorry but we are getting an apartment together and I'm--" He just listed everything at a rapid speed.

This caused Rocky to rub his temples to relieve a headache that formed. "Whoa, whoa, whoa," he stopped him. "Why are you still here? Because I'm pretty fuckin' sure Juliette said you sleep outside if you broke ANY of our rules." He raised his eyebrows and gestured to the back door. "So feel free to get the fuck out anytime."

"I understand Juli's anger," Ryland said, "because of her pregnancy hormones and shit. But you really should chill. It's all under control."

"Chill?" Rocky raised his voice. Even I was starting to get a little frightened. "Just... get out of my sight. I really don't need this right now." When Ryland didn't move immediately, Rocky threw his arms in the air and walked up the stairs and to our bedroom, slamming the door behind him.