Chapter 1 Alicia POV

"Slow down!" I hollered. I stepped harder on the gas pedal of my golf cart.
"Catch me if you can Alicia!" My brother Nick raced a few feet in front of me, through the golf course narrowly missing people golfing, enjoying their day. He wasn't winning this time. I narrowed my eyes and bared my teeth as I picked up speed. I pulled ahead and smiled on the way past him, then I crossed the tennis courts. Finish line. I'd won.
"Better luck next time Nick." I hopped out of the golf cart and smiled. Nick got out of his and rolled his eyes.
"You got lucky." He punched me on the arm. I rolled my eyes back at him. "So what now?" I asked.
"Well actually it's almost four o clock so me and the guys were gonna go grab some food and stuff you know? Sorry sis see ya later!" Nick hopped back in his golf cart and zoomed off. "Yeah.." I murmured. "See you later." I got back in my cart. I was just going to go lounge by the pool. Before I get ahead of myself I should mention. My parents are members of a pretty exclusive country club. My dads president of the board here so, I spend most of Summer's hanging out at the club. I headed back to the locker room where my swimsuit was. I grabbed my bag and stepped into a stall. I slipped my top off, and then my shorts. Then the rest and got into my suit. I braided my hair quickly and carelessly and headed out to the pool.

I scanned the area. Mostly little kids. A couple teenage boys being idiots, dunking each other. Some girls tanning. The usual. Nobody interesting. I slip my sunglasses on and stroll over to a lounge chair. I lay back in it and stare up at the sky. The club is great but, I'd be lying if I said it didn't get boring. Sure there's tennis and golf carts and the pool. There's tons to do, but Nick is busy a lot and I don't really have anyone to have fun with.

Private school is okay, but nobody's really worth hanging out with all summer. And the few friends I do have spend most of their summers traveling with their families. My best friends, Willow and Jamie are perfect examples of travelers. Both their families are gone from June to August. So it's just me. Plus-

My thoughts are interrupted by a splash and a screaming mother. "He can't swim! Help!" I wonder why she isn't jumping in but before I can come to a conclusion the lifeguard is already in the pool. She grabs the kid and hands him to his mom, who for the record won't hold him because he's soaking wet and she's wearing a designer dress.

The lifeguard walks back to her chair. Shaking her sandy blonde hair out and drying off her red suit with a towel. She slips a whistle back around her neck and puts a pair of sunglasses on. She's new. I haven't seen her before. Someone new...interesting. And I am bored. I decide to get up and introduce myself. Maybe she won't bore me to death. I stand up and walk over to her.

I'm bad at introducing myself. But I strolled over to the bottom of her tall chair and smiled up into the sun.
"Hey!" She looked around confused.
"Down here!" I waved. Squinting through my sunglasses.
"Oh hey one sec!" She yelled back to me, she had an Australian accent. So far. She was cool. She climbed down the ladder of her chair and stood in front of me. She was a little taller than me and she smiled.

"Hi, I'm Alicia Clark. You look new? I haven't seen you around here."
She laughed and shook her head. "What do you hang around here enough to know all the employees?"
"Actually..." I began. But she interrupted me.
"Oh shit! Clark. Alicia Clark. Your dad like owns this place doesn't he? Must be fun." She had a hint of sarcasm in her tone but I let it go.
"Yeah it's great. But anyways, when did you start working here?"
"Just a week ago. Already saved a drowning kid. Eventful week hey? I moved here to Cali from Australia about a year ago. America seems more my speed." Her accent was enchanting. I smiled.
"Yea Cali has a lot to do." She nodded. We talked a little more. I laughed at what she said, we made small talk and I was going to ask her to hangout on her break when we were interrupted by another employee.
"Hey, break is now. I'll wait for you if you wanna go get a bite at the snack court?" She nodded at the employee. "I'm sorry but I've gotta go." She smiled at me and extended her hand and we shook. Nice to meet you by the way Alicia Clark." My name sounded nice when she said it.

She turned to walk away but before she was out of sight I hollered. "Wait! I never caught your name?" She hollered back. "Elyza." She smiled. "Elyza Lex."