Chapter 28 ELYZAS POV

•alright guys summer starts today for me so I'm going to be ending the story here. I've got a busy summer. But good news. After summer, I'll be writing a sequel. Stay with me. :) and have a good summer. May we meet again.•

I woke up cuddled into Alicia. It felt heavenly. I was so lucky. She turned toward me. A sleepy look on her face. Eyes barely open and nuzzled her face into my neck. I ran my fingers through her long dark hair smiling.

"Hey baby?" She whispered. Her voice was so cute when she was sleepy.
"Yes my love?" I asked.
"Let's go to the roof today." She mumbled. At first I was confused. But then I remembered. I had taken Alicia to the fort I had made on top of an abandoned candle factory on one of our very first dates.
"Yeah? You wanna?" I asked.
"Please." Alicia moved into me even further. Trying to get as close as she possibly could.

We laid in bed tangled in each other for another hour. After that we took a shower together. This has become a common thing between us. We showered quickly, not having any of our intense shower sex that sometimes occurred, and went into the kitchen.

"What do you want to eat?" I asked, going through the fridge.
"You." Alicia winked. I rolled my eyes.
"You're such a geek. Are pancakes okay?"

Alicia nodded.

I made us pancakes, singing along to the radio we had on. Alicia made it particularly hard to concentrate on the task at hand because she was wrapped around my waist kissing the back of my neck.
"Babe! Babe." I giggled. She kissed my neck playfully faster.
"You know? We're that couple that I'd see and cringe at in public because they're so in love." Alicia said smiling.
"Dead set." I grinned turning around to kiss her.

By the time the pancakes were finished my neck had been kissed a thousand times. I wasn't complaining. Alicia had insisted hers have chocolate chips. I was never really big on those. We finished eating and cleaned up and decided to go visit Nick. He hadn't changed much.

We rode my bike to the hospital. Alicia's dad was expecting us. Her mom was out at another banquet or something like always. I zoomed us through traffic. I loved the way Alicia clung to me.

When we got to the hospital I took her hand and led her inside all the way up to Nick's room. Her dad was sitting in a chair by Nick's bed reading a magazine.

"Dad." Alicia kissed him on the head.
"Alicia, Elyza." Her dad smiled at us and nodded. He wasn't bad. Not like her mom. Nick laid on the same bed with the same tubes in his nose. He looked so weak. So faded.

"Any change?" Alicia asked anyways. She knew what to expect as an answer.
Her dad looked down, frowned and shook his head. I rubbed her back gently.

"What're we going to do?" She asked. Her voice sounded so soft. Broken. Scared.

"Alicia, that's what I have to talk to you about. Dr. Monty said Nick isn't doing well. Your mother and I have gone through every possibility and it seems there's only one. We're going to give Nick another thirty days. And then...if he isn't awake. Or doing any better at all...we're taking him off life support." Alicia didn't say anything. Her face fell. Her breathing stopped. Her fists were clenched and she was shaking. Trying not to cry. I'd seen her do this many times lately. Too many.

"Dad. No." She finally choked.
"Alicia honey."
"Dad. That's my brother. My best friend. No we aren't pulling the plug on him?! What the fuck? We don't just give up??" Alicia was fuming now.
"We aren't giving up Alicia your brother is...is practically brain dead!"
"But he's not DEAD." She persisted.
"His heart is beating he's breathing. See that? See his chest moving up and down? He's. Breathing."
"Alicia, I'm so sorry.." Her dad's voice broke. He was crying now.
"I've got to go." Alicia leaned down. Kissed Nick on the forehead for a couple of seconds and quickly walked out.

She didn't speak until we were outside at my bike. Even then she didn't speak. She just finally cried. I was holding her while she shook and cried and cursed. She felt so small. I just wanted to keep her safe.

"Elyza how could they do this?!" She cried.
"Baby. Sh. We don't know that this is for sure. He could wake up. He could wake up." I soothed. She pulled back and wiped her tears.
"But what if he doesn't?" Her bottom lip was quivering and I kissed her softly. I lingered.
"We can think about that when the time comes. Now come on. I want to take you away from here."

Alicia got back on my bike and we kept driving. I could feel her crying behind me. Her body shaking. My heart hurt for her. I drove us all the way out to the old candle factory. Memories flooded back. This was before we were dating. I knew I loved her. She got to know me here. I asked her to be mine. I felt a thousand different feelings I couldn't put into words. The only thing I could formulate clearly was that she was my soulmate. She was incredible.

I led Alicia all the way up to the top of the factory. Our spot was still there. I plugged the fairy lights into an outlet using an extension cord and sat down underneath the fort I had made. Alicia curled in next to me.

"Remember our first time here?" I asked laying my head on hers.
"How could I forget?" She whispered. I pulled her closer to me, wrapping an arm around her.
"Elyza I'm scared."
"I know baby. Me too."
"I'm so glad I have you. I'd be nowhere without you. I love you madly." And I knew she did. For the first time in my life I was so sure I was loved. I forgot about all the pain I'd ever felt. Every fucked up thing I'd ever been through. I forgot about my shitty family, my bad habits. Because I had Alicia. I had this girl who held the stars in her eyes and the moon in her heart. I had a girl better than the entire universe. If the entire world collapsed around me I wouldn't care. Because I'd have gotten the chance to love this girl. And no matter where we ended up after the world ended, if we went to heaven or an afterlife or the great beyond or another life all together I'd find her. I'd find her and I'd love her. So I took a deep breath and for the first time I felt everything clearly and I said back;
"I love you madly."