SURPRISE FOR SURPRISE - 1

CHAPTER 8

SURPRISE FOR SURPRISE...!

"So the troops are deployed?" I asked like a grumpy commanding officer.
"Aye Aye captain! Missiles are set to launch." DK imitated like his assistant.
"Cake...? Where is cake? It is our nuclear weapon. We can't win the war without it!" I agitated.
"Lieutenant Rishi and his aide Avantika are on their way. Sir...!" DK answered.
"Good...!" I smirked.
Then I moved to Vicky, he was sitting on a chair, anxiously, constantly staring at the floor.
Like some stubborn poet, unaware from the surroundings, as they usually are, couldn't give a hoot over his families concerns as they usually do, sitting oblivion, contemplating over his contrived paramour's deceitful love.
"Why are you so nervous soldier?" I asked in frayed voice.
"Are you afraid to die soldier?" I shouted sternly and pricked the fork in his left shoulder.
"Stop nagging, Sameer...! I'm trying to focus." Vicky yelled.
"Don't worry yaar...! Everything will be fine....!" I solaced and sat beside him.
"Just make sure you do not fumble." DK admonished.
We were present for the final preparation. Venue was a lavish restaurant named The Grand Hotel, situated in the heart of Old City Market.
It was one of the most eminent and expansive restaurant of our city. Practically we couldn't afford this kind of grandeur.
Vicky used to afraid of his dad as they despised him because of his passion for football, so he couldn't ask him for a favour; and it was over the hedge of our pocket.
Our celebration parties used to take place at some food stall near lake side; or at some fast food chain at Old City Market.
But this time it was different. It was a question of our friend's life; we couldn't take risk obtusely.
The Grand Hotel was an installation by the group of influential business personalities of our city, and Mr.Shanker was one of them.
We never asked him for favour, but we didn't have any other option left, we were bounded.
We went to Coffee House last week, after we finalised our plan. We explained everything, from start to end. He listened to us very carefully, and he laughed out loud as we finished.
"Oh...! Wonderful! College affairs..!" He scoffed. We were looking at him perplexedly.
"What a remindful story boys! You know when I was in college; I used to sneak into my father's shop whenever he went to home for lunch." Mr.Shanker said.
"I used to take some handful penny from his drawer without letting him know, to spend that on gifts like ornaments, bangles or anything which made her happy." He said.
"Her eyes used to gaze at me like they're telling me that I'm the only person they wants to see." Mr.Shanker went into flashback and started telling his own story.
"There is no treasure, no money, no jewellery on this planet which can buy the feeling of complacency and happiness you feel when you see your beloved one is smiling because of you, it is precious...!" He said and sighed.
"My father actually knew that I'm the one who is stealthily decreasing the weight of his basket where he used to preserve the money." He told in elation.
"One day as my father went to home for lunch, I sneaked in as I used to do. I knew my father take at least 15-20 minutes, I was insured."
"But that day he meticulously came early, he checked his basket and came to me. I was shivering. My father used to be a local wrestler; I didn't want to get whomped by him.
"But he politely asked me, I was afraid but I couldn't reveal the real reason so I lied to him. He knew that I used to stutter whenever I lied." He described.
"Did he beat you then...?" We asked him curiously.
"No...! He didn't beat me, or scold! He didn't even deprive me from meal, which was a standard punishment of that time." Mr.Shanker said.
"He knew that I had no such bad habits on which I could waste the fortune. But each day he used to ask me the same question, it was melting my patients and I finally broke my silence and told the whole story." He said.
We were so indulged in Mr.Shanker's story, we were listening him quietly. It was an interesting story, and we needed a favour as well.
"Then what happened? What your father did?" We asked unison.
"Then he wedded me to her. And now she is your aunty now!" Mr.Shanker replied and smiled.
"So your father gave you permission." We said.
"But what about her..? I mean Mrs. Shanker's parents! How you managed to convince them?" We asked impatiently.
"They didn't give their consent at first place. They were eminent and wealthy, and I was just a 1st year college student." Mr.Shanker told.
"It could take almost 5-10 years more to reach on that such significant position if I would choose the standard path. But they couldn't wait that long, and I was desperate for her."
"So I decided to leave my education, I dropped myself from college. My father supported me with my decision, which was incredible."
"Then I joined family business polished my skills with the help of my dad's experience and after 6 months of training I finally took rein into my own hand."
"I worked on innovative ideas by taking my father's teaching in mind. And after striving whole year I finally managed to boost our proceeds astonishingly."
"Coffee House became prime spot. I earned reputation and wealth as well and made my father's name bigger then her."
"Then I met them with the proposal and they agreed, and in next month I got married to my paramour." Mr.Shanker finished his story with happy ending.
It was a quite comprehensive experience for us. His story was filled with rudiments of stereotype love story.
"Your story is similar to some classic cinematic Mr.Shanker." Vicky said.
"Love stories are cinematic Mr. Vicky...!" Mr.Shanker replied. He opened his drawer then, and handed us a silver card, which was a VIP pass.
"Best of luck Mr. Vicky..!" Mr.Shanker blessed.
"Thank you Mr.Shanker! We're grateful to you. You owe me for life time." Vicky said avidly.
"It's not a favour kiddo! It's a gift; and a good luck charm for you." Mr.Shanker scoffed.