OLD FRIEND TURNED FOE - 2

CHAPTER 10

OLD FRIEND TURNED FOE...?

(Continue from OLD FRIEND TURNED FOE-1)

I had to take it anyway; I took a deep breath to calm my senses. I ran to shoot, I showed like I’m going to shoot on right side of the net to deceive goalkeeper.
I almost succeeded as goalkeeper got trapped in my web. He jumped to right side, and I struck in the middle, but unfortunately he had long feet, as a result the ball struck his toe, and ball deflected and bounced in the air and struck to the poll.
We lost the game. I looked at our stand, Vijay wasn’t there. We were standing there in desperation, while opposition players were celebrating.
I went back to dressing room after gathering consolation prize. I opened the door; I saw Vijay was sitting there, with stretchers besides him. I was feeling ashamed, and hesitated to make an eye contact. He was looking very resentful.
“You promised me that you can handle it!” Vijay yelled.
“I’m sorry Vijay!” I faltered.
“Sorry! That’s it!” Vijay jolted in rage.
“I trusted in you, and you gave this in return!” Vijay said resentfully.
“I took a sub because of you; I kept telling you that I can endure! There was no other defender who is experienced enough to handle that kind of pressure, but you didn’t listen!” Vijay sulked.
“I’m really sorry Vijay, but physio told that your injury is severe and your ankle needed immediate diagnose, unless your feet would be permanently disabled.” I explained.
“I had no other option. Your future would be ruined in football if I had let you play.” I pleaded.
“It was my feet! My pain! My future! So it should have been my decision. Who the hell you are to decide..?” Vijay yelled.
“Listen Vijay!” I tried to calm the air.
“No you listen, Sameer! I trusted you this whole time as my best friend, who understands me, I treat you as my brother, but you betrayed me! You have proven me wrong!” Vijay shouted.
He took his stretcher and threw on the door furiously, but the door wasn’t locked, and it opened as by the force, and unfortunately our coach was next to the door.
He was about to enter at dressing room from the same door. And he got hit by that stretcher eventually, as he entered. The stretcher got hit on his forehead, and started bleeding spontaneously.
After that incident coach drew complaint against Vijay to the college director. After listening to both sides, director found Vijay guilty and rusticated him from the college.
From that day till now, he never talked to me. I still blame myself, not just because we lost the championship, but I lost a friend, a brother.

After that, next year’s inter-college tournament’s knockout stage, we again got a chance to play but this time as an opponent.
I could sense that he had transformed himself into completely different aspect. He seemed very vibrant as he came on the field. I thought he had moved on from past incidents, so I tried to converse.
“Hey Vijay! You are looking brawnier then before. It seems like you’re going to give us tough challenge.” I said.
“Yeah! I’m just waiting for a whistle, and then I will show you how tough I am.” He smirked.
I had a doubt in my mind over his intentions. And unfortunately I was right. Vijay and his team appeared on the ground for only one purpose, which was definitely not to win the match.
Vijay just wanted to take revenge. They were deliberately hitting us violently in the name of tackle. They kept antagonizing to agitate us.
But we were trying to ignore them; we were concentrating on our game. And after half time we were leading by two goals.
But the real problem started as Vijay deliberately kicked on my feet as I was roaming in their defence. The force was so fierce so that I bounced at high and rolled almost 3-4 times on the ground.
After that both team’s players gather beside referee and started shouting and abusing each other. Referee just gave a warning to Vijay for that illegal challenge.
He should have been sent off for that atrocious challenge, but instead he didn’t even get a yellow card. DK was arguing with referee, Vijay also joined the argument. 
DK was short-tempered, which Vijay knew. He abused DK several times as referee was busy with other players. DK controlled himself but Vijay crossed the line and as a result DK punched him.
Then both team players even supporters of both teams engaged into an altercation profoundly. After few minutes police came to control the situation. They caught bunch of as a suspect, and both teams player as well.
After an hour of hearings and an influential call from some political leader, the inspector turned down all charges against Vijay and his clique and declared them not guilty, and filed charges against us instead.
But thanks to our college director, he called to a commissioner for a favour as they were school time friends, and because of him, inspector had to free us on warning. 
That was the last and the bitterest meeting with Vijay.
@