Chapter 29- Harder Than You Think

Cristiano walked slowly down the stairs. It was early. Too early he thought. Especially since he had no training this morning. But he hadn't been able to sleep. He hadn't slept much since Molly was attacked. But the fear he saw in her eyes two nights ago, was something he couldn't stop thinking about. She was afraid of him.

A figure standing at the glass door looking out onto the garden stopped him dead on the stairs. If it wasn't for Marcosa sitting at her feet he would have thought he was imaging things.

He continued to walk down the steps. She hadn't noticed he was in the room. Or if she had she wasn't letting him know. He wasn't sure what he should do. Should he leave or stay. Molly hadn't left her bedroom since she came here. He was hoping this was a good sign.

"Fuck" he cursed when his toe hit the chair and he hopped on one leg till he went crashing onto the couch. He was watching Molly instead of watching where he was going. Her head turned and she jumped.

"Mana" Cristiano said holding his toe. Marcosa waged her tail as she walked over to her owner. Molly hugged her arms tightly as she watched Cristiano. "You'd think I'd know where everything was in this house and wouldn't bump into things" he said.

"Stay" he shouted and she stilled when she had moved to leave. "I mean don't... I mean you don't have to go. I'm sure Marcosa could do with a change of scenery" he said knowing the his dig spent most days with Molly in her room. She fiddled with the end of her tank top as her eyes stared at the floor.

Jezzz this was going to be harder than he thought.

"I can make you something to eat if you like" he said standing. She shook her head. "I'm not as good as the others at cooking but I try" he said. She began to move again. "Molly please it's just you and me. The others won't be down for ages" he said and he saw Molly's face go white.

He cursed himself. "I mean stay here. Eat something. Watch some TV. Stare out the window. You haven't been out of your room since you came here. I'll go and you can stay" he said in a panic afraid to move closer to her encase she ran away.

He was used to her yelling at him. This scared Molly was really frightening him.
"I got tired of looking at the same four walls" she quietly said and he sighed in relief. "Maybe you could eat in these four walls" he said. He knew she hadn't eaten much.

"Please we don't have to talk. Just don't go back up stairs" he said and she nodded.
"Ok ahm you sit and I'll make us something to eat" he said rushing towards the kitchen. "I told you that I wasn't hungry" she said. "Don't have to worry about me burning the house down trying to cook for you so" he joked but she didn't react. He had so many things he wanted to say and ask but he knew he had to be careful and not rush Molly. Her been here was huge. Her actually speaking to him was mega huge he thought.

"Are you cold?" he asked as her hands rubbed her arms. "I'm fine" she said. She only wore a tank top and pj bottoms. "Here" he said and whipped off his sweatshirt over his head and left it on a kitchen stool. "Take it. I'm hot enough in my t-shirt as it is" he said.

"I mean" he said as he thought about how that sounded.

"Thanks" she said and walked towards the stool. He saw that she saw that he was staring at her so he busied himself with finding them something to eat. He half expected her to be gone when he turned around but he found her staring out the window again. He poured two bowls of cereal and walked to the couch. He wasn't sure if her should stay or go. Especially since he knew his mother wouldn't be happy to know he was here alone with her.

He placed one bowl on the coffee table and sat on the couch. "There's cereal there if want some" he said and switched on the TV. He sat in silence as she stared out the window. He dropped the remote sending it crashing to the floor with a loud noise. Molly made a sound of surprise and she turned to look at him. "Sorry. Sorry. I dropped the remote" he said picking it up of the ground and holding it up to show her.

"I'm Mr. Accident prone this morning" he joked. Of course he was. He was nervous. He didn't know what was wrong with him. The last time he was anywhere near her, she screamed blue murder.

She started to move and he thought she was going to the stairs, but she sat in the chair he had banged his toe on. The chair that was furthest away from him. She stared at the TV as Marcosa sat at her feet. "Even I can't ruin cereal you know" he said pointing to the bowl on the table. "I thought you said no talking" she replied not looking at him.

"Yeah sorry. I guess you're sick of everyone talking at you. Máe mean well" he mumbled and Marcosa moans. "Sorry I'm babbling. No more talking" he said digging into his food. "But there are other type of cereal if you want something else or Nuno or Máe can make you something in a while" he said quickly before putting the spoon in his mouth.

He flicked onto an episode of The Big Bang Theory and settled back into the couch. He saw her legs
Uncross and she leaned forward towards the table. Her face flinched in pain as she moved to take the bowl in her hands. They say and ate in silence. When the episode finished she stood and walked to the sink.

"You don't have to stay in you room you know. You're free to go where you like" he said as she moved towards the stairs. Her hands moved to the bottom of the sweatshirt and he knew she was taking it off. "Keep it. I don't need it back anytime soon" he said as Molly still had her back turned away from him.

"Thanks for breakfast" she said quietly and walked up to her room.

"You're welcome" he whispered after her