Chapter 5

edited

Ariel's POV
I was sleeping when I heard a knock on my door.

"Ariel, someone's here to see you" I heard my mom say behind my white bedroom door.

"Ugh" I groaned. Why can't people just leave me alone?

"They're coming in!" She warned, and I sat up.

Who is this?

The white door slightly opened, and I squinted my eyes in an attempt to make out who it was.

The door was pushed all the way open, and I gasped.

"Matthew!" I squealed and ran over to him.

"Hello my sweet Ariel" he said and embraced me.

"Oh my gosh. I can't believe it's you." I gushed, hugging him tighter.

"Hug me any tighter and I might pop" he laughed and I loosened, "I never said I didn't like it."

I giggled and hugged him tighter again.

"Gosh, I've missed you're amazing hugs" he said looking into my eyes.

"I've missed yours too" I smiled, looking back into his light brown eyes.

You may super confused. Let me fill you in.

Matthew, the long, tan, and handsome guy that every girl wants. Perfect brown hair. Gorgeous brown eyes. HE is PERFECT!

Matthew and I were inseparable. Growing up, we did EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, together. If the school was having a dance, we would go together. If the pool was open, we would be in there. If the was a parade in town, we would go together. Nothing could tear our friendship apart!

Until Matthew moved from Virginia(which is where she was born and grew up) when he was 12. Him leaving broke me. Broke our friendship even. I was devastated. He was my only friend. I had no one. I had lost my Matthew.

A year later, we found out my dad lost his job.

Our dad then found a place where he could start his own business and work with another big company. He didn't not want to let this pass by so he took it and bought the company.

The problem was it was in California. So we had to move.

I had to make friends against my own will, and I hated it. But I got use to it.

No one wanted to be my friend. I was known as 'the class loner', which I didn't mind.

But then everyone started spreading rumors about me. Things like 'I slept with the entire football team', 'I've dated every guy in school', and things worse that I can't mention.

Everything was rocky and my parents tried to interfere but the students would lie and say they didn't say anything.

So it still goes on today. The teachers see happen but won't say anything.

"So how's school, cutie?" He asked me, knowing about the whole situation.

"It's going okay. For now. Did you hear abo-"

"You getting an arranged marriage to Cameron? Yeah. I almost punched a wall." He laughed.

"Why?" I laughed.

"Because.. he's a jerk and you deserve someone better than him" he breathed out, hoping not to catch him lying.

"I agree, but I know you're lying. Matthew, what's up? It's not like you to lie." I said sternly.

"It's just... I've grown up with you. I've known you since birth.." he trailed off.

"And your point is?" I questioned, not understanding where he was going with this.

"Gosh dang it Ariel! Can't you see?" He yelled in search of finding hope.

"See what?" I asked.

At that moment, I knew he mentally face palmed.

"Ariel! I'm in love with you!" He yelled and looked down, regretting what he said.

I'm taken back and I stumble to find the right words to say. But then I realize something.

"Matthew.. I don't kn-"

"Don't. You don't have to say anything. I know you don't like me in that kinda way. I'm just letting you know so it's not awkward for me. But I get it. You're marrying Cameron soon so." He mumbled, cringing at his name.

"Oh Matthew. I'm not marrying Cameron for another year or so. I'll have time to get with him before the marriage. But right now, it's just you and me." I responded and smirked at him.

He blushed the slightest bit and looked down.

I raised his head with my hand and looked into his brown orbs.

I lowered my head and whispered into his ear.

"Can I tell you a secret?"

He nodded quickly.

"I love you too"

*****