Chapter 10.

Hey

Sorry I write so late at night . . . or mornings.

I just have a better focus when it's late for some reason. Anyway, sorry for the tragic turn of events with Zara's mom. All will be explained shortly. Love you!

Zara's POV***

The cops idlessly wondered about, looking almost as clueless as a lost puppy. My whole body was numb, and I couldn't focus; on anything. I felt like I was underwater, watching everything slowly happen. The image of my mother's lifeless pale face was still imprinted into my mind. There were caution tapes all around my house, and we had attracted a large amount of people.

What did they find so interesting? My mother's death?

I so badly wanted to run them over with a bulldozer, but I hadn't a license for one. My family was none of their concern. What, were they hoping to get answers as to how she died? I wish I could bring myself to even say "My mother killed herself" But alas I cannot bring myself to say the four daunting words. I'm afraid that if I do, reality will really start to sink in harder than it did before.

 At that moment, I realized I was now truly alone. I was always alone when she was home, but it seemed different now.

It's been hours, and the pointless detectives were speaking with witnesses that heard her loudly moan. But I didn't care about their statements. She was dead, nothing more to it. I was just standing there, still reiterating the words to myself on the piece of paper she left behind. I still had a few unanswered questions.

1) My mother's life wasn't all that bad, why go as far as killing herself?

2) Why did she want me to stay away from Ryder?

3) Was there some sort of weird connection between them?

4) Where would I go?

"Mrs?" I heard a deep voice ask. I swiftly blinked once or twice, coming out of my strange mind haze.

"Yes?" I asked.

"I was wondering if you had any relatives you were staying with." He said again. He was short and pretty old, about in his late 50's. His soft brown eyes were warm, and his large gut overfilled his shirt, leaking onto the tip of his pants. He had a white mustache and a little hat. I realized it was the sheriff.

"Uh . . ." I managed, raking my brain.

"She does." Someone said from behind me. Shocked, I turned around to see the one and only Ryder with an angered look. His hair was perfectly touseled in the perfect way, and his jaw was clenched. His white t-shirt clung to his chest, showing off his array of abs and nice toned pecks. A few girls were oggling over him, making me want to punch them in the face with a brick for some reason. I shook my head at my silliness.

I stared at Ryder, too surprised to say anything. "Alright, I'll have your father, James, sign some papers." Sheriff Walker said before walking off. They brought out a stretcher, with a figure laying in it and a blanket on top. I blinked hard, not sure if tears were going to fall or not.

A gasp escaped my lips as two arms wrapped around me, and turned me so I was in someone's hard chest. I couldn't ignore the sparks flying all around in my body, and soon, I could feel heat creeping onto my face. I glanced up, my face smushed to the guy's chest.

Ryder was staring at me with soft eyes before he hugged me tight to his chest. He was trying to distract me from the scene, and it was somewhat working. He smelt so amazing, like chocolate and pine trees. I couldn't get enough of it.

"Why did you say that?" I asked in a muffled voice. He placed his hard chin on my head and rubbed pleasurable circles on my back. I had no doubt I was getting glares from girls, but that didn't matter now.

"Because, you have no relatives, and you need someone to stay with someone. And that's going to be me." He said, his voice calm and relaxing. I didn't have the strength in me to respond. I gave one last glance at the house, before Ryder led me to his car in the parking lot.

--

We silently drove in his car. I made no movements or sounds. I kept staring outside the window. I hadn't even noticed that Ryder's large palm on my thigh, rubbing up and down. My breath got stuck in my throat as I tried my hardest not to stare right at him with wide eyes.

Each stoke sent tingles throughout my body. The whole car ride consisted of his movements, making me clench my teeth on and off while forcing myself to look out the window. Finally, we got out of the car and in front of us was a large mansion. I gaped at it as I closed the door behind me.