// t w e n t y - o n e //

"Sometimes, you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory." -Unknown

"River..." I looked up to see River's mother making a grab for his hand. I already took the other one and I was running my thumbs over the knuckles.

"He's okay. He was up about an hour ago." I reassured her and she smiled at me. Well he was coming in and out of sleep. Not really conscious.

"Are you Sevine Carter?" I waved with my hand that wasn't holding River's.

"The one and only." She held her hand out and I shook it.

"Arlyn. Oh, honey!" She looked down at the hand she was shaking and I mentally face palmed myself. Of course I was too focused on River to switch the ring back.

"Oh, I've been taking it off and putting it on all my fingers all night out of nervous habit, yanno?" Arlyn's face dropped and Joaquin just had to be a lovely person.

"They're together, Mom. I can sense a close engagement." Her spirits brightened after that lovely announcement.

"Engagement is a bit soon for me. I'd like to get out and travel on my own for a bit. Wedding plans and appointments would get in the way. Me and River really need to get to know each other more still. I mean we only started interacting not long ago." I was not trying to discuss engagement while River was right there unconscious.

"Understandable. Well I'm glad you've got the weekend off to be able to be here with River. I however have to be to work in 4 hours and have about a 2 hour drive home. Here's my number. Please text me when he's awake, it'd mean so much to me, Sevine."

I nodded and Arlyn and smiled.

"Of course. It was great meeting you by the way." She tiptoed over and gave me a side hug.

"Now don't cry, dear." She wiped tears from my eyes I hadn't realized we're there.

"Oh. I didn't notice." She waved and walked out of River's hospital room leaving me with just Joaquin. "No work today, hmm?" I asked. He shook his head and took a seat on the other side of River.

"No. I figured I'd be here in Mom's place, but I should have known you'd be here, Sevine." I shrugged and grabbed River's hand with my other hand as well and kissed it.

"He means a lot to me. I pretended to be his fiancé just so I could come here with him." I laughed making Joaquin laugh too. He wiped some hair out of River's face and stared at his brother's face.

"You idiot. You scared the crap out of your girlfriend that bad." I rolled my eyes playfully.

"Geez, River." Me and Joaquin sat in silence for awhile. That is until my stomach intervened.

"Sounds like someone's hungry." Joaquin joked and I nodded.

"I'm gonna go to a drive thru and grab a bite to bring back. You want anything?" Joaquin shook his head.

"No thanks, Sevine. Make sure you get something that'll satisfy your hunger, because I don't want you going quick and back just for River. You need to eat and he'll be right here when you get back." I nodded and did a small salute.

"Got it, Sir Phoenix." I set River's hand on his stomach and kissed his forehead. "I'll be back, promise." I murmured against his head. I was just about to exit the room when I heard his voice.

"Sevine?" I turned around with a bright grin on my face.

"River!" I ran and bent over slightly to hug him. He grunted and I laughed. "You'll live you big baby."

"Well I'm glad you're happy to see me." He held my hair in his hands and looked into my eyes.

"Of course I am. I was so scared, River. You overdosed on cocaine and your alcohol intake did not help. You just didn't listen to me. I should have taken you to the car first." I said, feeling the tears come back.

"No, Sevine, please don't cry. Shh, I'm okay now. It's alright, I promise." He wiped my tears and kissed my cheek.

"Hey, Riv." River turned his head to look at his brother.

"Joaquin? Where's Mom?" River asked curiously.

"At work. How about we talk while Sevine goes to get something to eat. She's been here since last night." River nodded and turned back to me.

"Go. I'll be right here." I squeezed his hand and nodded.

"Okay."

~
THE SECRET PROJECT IS STILL ON, I'M PREPARING PHOTOS AT THE MOMENT SO DON'T YOU ALL FUSS. XX