// t w e n t y - f o u r //

"It's you." We both said as I turned and sat up. We sat there shocked for moments that seemed like hours. His hand moved to grab mine and he pulled me off of the bed to his desk. He moved his books to reveal his portfolio.

He nodded for me to look at the photos. I opened it and smiled as I looked at the first one. It was me laughing. I started looking at the photos one by one on the first page.

"Your technique is well done. I love these photos, and not just because they're of me." River laid his chin on my shoulder and wrapped his arms around me.

"Thank you, Miss Carter." I smiled and bit my lip as I flipped the page. One of the photos was of me asleep on his chest. I can't believe I didn't think of that, but then again River doesn't really sleep around me.

"You did so great, Riv. You're definitely going to Florida."

"But you guessed me." I fiddled with my fingers and nodded.

"That's right. Well let's see how this plays out tomorrow in Ms.Lightwell's." River spun me around and nodded.

"Sounds good." He tilted my chin up and I closed my eyes, preparing for a kiss. But someone knocked on the door. I opened my eyes and chuckled at River's upset expression.

"Wait, Sevine."

"Chill. I'll get it, Mr.Grumps." I walked over and opened River's door.

"Woah, is River gettin' some finally? My macho man isn't a veggie anymore." I arched an eyebrow at Corey and he snickered as he poked my chest.

"Hey! No touching." River slipped in front of me and held a strong arm around my back.

"Sorry, sorry. Anyways, Riv; I was wondering how you were doing. You know how I crashed my car a bit back? So I couldn't find anyone to give me a ride to the hospital to see you." Sincerity was held in Corey's voice.

Then and there I knew Corey was actually a genuine guy that I could trust. River's best friend...it was Corey.

"I'm all good, Corey. Just promise me you won't do anything stupid like that okay? I don't think your mother would be very happy if I let you do that." Corey smirked and wrapped his arms around River. River of course hugged him in return and I was about to aww, but I remembered I didn't have a shirt on.

I went over to the bed and put on my shirt. I walked back over to the door to see Corey wiping his watery eyes.

"Hey, Sevine you wanna come out to lunch with me and Riv tomorrow?" I smiled at Corey and nodded. I wrapped my arms around River's arm.

"I'd love to." He nodded and waved.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow then." River closed the door after Corey walked away.

"He's your little brother and your best friend...isn't he?" I looked up to River and he nodded with tears crawling down his cheeks.

"He is. I'm sorry I caused people so much pain." I took his hand in mine and led him to sit on the bed. I held his head against my chest and stroked his hair softly.

"I love you." Also known as 'it's okay'.

"I love-I love you too." He said between sniffles.

~

"Okay, would anyone like to guess their photographer today?" Remaining five somehow all guessed wrong. Ms.Lightwell looked at her clipboard and when she looked at me and River we both pointed at each other.

"Ms.Carter and Mr.Phoenix. You've both seemed to win The Secret Project." I raised my hand and she nodded.

"How exactly does that work?" She put her fist to her mouth in thought.

"The school only paid for two plane tickets. One for me and one for the winner." River shook his head.

"You're going. I'll be fine." My eyes widened and I shook my head.

"River, no! Your technique would nail you a great deal in the photography industry." He huffed and closed his eyes.

"Since you're so stubborn. Ms.Lightwell, could I buy a ticket myself? I'll get my own motel room as well." My eyes widened at the cost it could burn in River's pocket.

"River if you insist on buying your own plane ticket, sure, but maybe I could ask the board to get you a room as well. I don't want you spending too much." River opened his eyes and nodded.

"Well then it's decided. Our winners of The Secret Project are River Phoenix and Sevine Carter." The class clapped and I reached for River's hand.

"We did it." I whispered.

"We did, didn't we?" He whispered back.