20. Succumbing

My next set of shifts was much more enjoyable than any I'd experienced thus far

My next set of shifts was much more enjoyable than any I'd experienced thus far. Secret little smiles and winks were shared between Dr. Styles and myself; even a quick kiss on my cheek when he was absolutely sure no one was looking. It was actually kind of fun, having a secret just between us. Of course, there were still rumors floating around about the two of us since the night at Navy Pier. It really wasn't a big deal. With Bridget and Kane on our side, we all shut down the rumors pretty quickly, which made the fact that we really were seeing each other all the more thrilling.

Close to the end of the third 12-hour shift in this round, I was about to give a dose of medication to a teenager in severe pain due to a ruptured appendix. Just before I measured out the dose, I double checked his weight and it didn't sound right. I placed a quick call to Dr. Styles and asked about the dosage. He was by my side in seconds. "Let me see," he said, checking the order on the computer. "Oh my god, that is not right at all." He smacked his hand to his forehead and whispered, "Thank you, Ellie. This could have been really bad." 

I studied him as he changed the order quickly. "Have you ever made that kind of mistake before?" I finally asked. 

"Probably. But this might have killed him." He walked away before I had a chance to question any further, but it bothered me that he could have made such a serious mistake. 

My concern didn't last long enough for me to ask him about it later in the day. After sleep refreshed us, we planned to grab some dinner together. Together we had decided to try not to spend time together between shifts since we could hardly ever stop talking. The afternoon we had the "what are we?" discussion turned into dinner together, watching two movies and falling asleep on his couch again. Of course, that arrangement would be more complicated when one of us was working and the other wasn't. But we'd figure that out when we faced it some time, probably in the not-too-distant future, but not now.

Tonight we were planning to go to the Soho House Tavern. I think we liked the pub atmosphere since we'd kissed in the pub the night of the cocktail party. And I got the feel that Harry really liked the Soho House.

"So we did pretty well this week, didn't we?" I asked as we sat down. 

"Hmm?" He looked at me, not quite understanding my question.

"We managed to avoid getting caught," I said, squealing just a little bit like a high school girl.

He smirked and shook his head. "You're something else, Ellie." 

"I am, aren't I?" I giggled and he leaned over and pecked my lips. "So, you told me that you've only had one serious relationship. Will you tell me about her?" 

"Do you really want to start our first date with questions about my ex?" 

"Uh huh," I answered eagerly.

"Where do I start? I didn't really want a relationship early in my 20's. I really didn't feel comfortable with who I was until I was legitimately old enough to have gone through med school like everyone else."