26. Unresponsive

I tucked myself into bed next to Chloe once again; she was already snoozing away

I tucked myself into bed next to Chloe once again; she was already snoozing away. I dialed Harry's number and waited. It sounded like he answered after several rings, but then I heard muffled sounds and the call went dead. Strange. I tried again and this time I was answered by a muffled Hello.

"Hi, Babe, How was your day?" I asked.

"Ellie?" He questioned.

"Yes, it's me. Didn't you see my name when I called?" 

"Uh, yes...I mean no, I uh, didn't see it I guess." 

I was a little panicked at the sound of his flustered voice. "Is everything okay? You sound kind of spooked."

"No, no," he muddled. "I was just, uh, you know, I'm kind of overwhelmed with this hospital thing."

Something just wasn't right and the feeling burned like an arrow through my gut. "Harry," I asked cautiously, "have you been drinking again?"

"What?" He asked, suddenly sounding agitated. "No! No, it's nothing like that. I gotta go, okay?" 

"You're scaring me," I said. 

Without even addressing my concern, he just said, "See you when you get back," and hung up.

"What the hell?" I grumbled quietly to myself. "See you when you get back? I'm not going back til Monday." As much as I wanted an explanation for his bizarre behavior, I knew it probably wouldn't do much good to try to hash it out over the phone. Too many things can be misconstrued when not speaking face to face. Still, my heart clenched in worry for most of the night, hoping he was really okay and hadn't gone off the deep end or something.

Morning came too early. Chloe's voice was gently coaxing Catniss, "Give her a kiss." Then I felt a wet feline nose nudging up against my nose, and then my chin and cheeks. I started giggling, opening my eyes to a close up of Catniss's pink tongue, displaying her affection for me.

"Are you gonna miss your mommy?" Chloe cooed. "I'll take good care of you."

"Thanks, Bugaboo," I giggled. "I'm glad I'm leaving her in good hands." We were summoned downstairs by the heavenly smell of thick-cut bacon and real maple syrup, which could only mean one thing. "Pancakes!" Chloe and I shouted at the same time.

Chloe went running ahead while I decided to call Harry. It went straight to voicemail. "Hey, Harry, it's Ellie. I'm kind of worried about you. You weren't yourself last night. Give me a call and let me know you're okay. Bye." I hoped that message would convey enough of my concern without making him think I was being too pushy.

At breakfast, I filled everyone in on the festival, and then my dad launched into the interrogation. He'd been working most of the weekend, so this was our first chance to have a real conversation. "When are you gonna fill your old man in on your love life?" Blunt and to the point.