30. The Best Medicine

I was pacing back and forth in my bedroom, wondering if it was foolish to go out with Ian so soon after things ended with Harry

I was pacing back and forth in my bedroom, wondering if it was foolish to go out with Ian so soon after things ended with Harry. Regardless of whether I found Ian attractive - and I did - I just wasn't sure if it was wise to go out with him yet. It had only been a week since Harry broke up with me. I wasn't ready to open my heart to someone again, only to have it crushed again

But Ian didn't exactly hit me as hard as Harry did either. Sure, Ian was attractive and funny, but from the first time I saw Harry, I was infatuated. Come to think of it, maybe that's all my attraction to him had been. Yes, that was it, infatuation. He was the picture-perfect package, tall, dark and handsome, charming personality, rich. Yes, that was it!  I just fell for the image of the perfect man. Giving Ian a chance might be healthy for me. Not everyone was going to be as self-centered as Harry.

Ian had texted me, telling me to to go with something "upper casual" for our date, so I dressed in a pair of skinny jeans and a yellow, off-the-shoulder blouse. I added a multi-colored necklace and a pair of earrings that I had created earlier in the day from my thrifting finds. I felt good about myself, and I thanked the September warmth for the fact that I could still wear my favorite sandals. 

Ian insisted on picking me up, so I told him to text me when he was five minutes away and I'd wait outside; that way he wouldn't have to find parking and then come up to my apartment. As I exited the building, Walter held the door and grinned widely, asking, "Going somewhere special with the doctor tonight?"

I smiled apologetically. "Um, no, things didn't work out between us. I'm just going to have dinner with a friend."

"Well, I'm sorry to hear that," Walter said, tipping his hat. "It's his loss."

"Thank you, Walter," I said to the sweet old doorman. As soon as I stepped into the late summer heat, Ian drove up to the curb. He leaned over to open the door and I grabbed it and climbed in.

"You look great," he said.

"You're not so bad yourself," I bantered. Dressed in dark jeans and a patterned button up shirt, which he'd left open over a plain white t-shirt, he looked the perfect definition of "upper casual." The shirt was pressed and his cologne was actually quite pleasant, as was our conversation. He was really funny and rather lively. A bit of a change from Harry. But a welcome change.

We went to a restaurant called The Kitchen, a surprising place that brought upscale and down home together. "How did you get inside my head?" I laughed as Ian and I were seated. "This place is fabulous. Suits my tastes to a T."

"I guess we have some things in common then," he said with a little wink.

The view was perfection, the food was phenomenal, and I had to say the company hit the spot. I really liked Ian and it felt like we were forming a fast friendship. He kept me laughing almost the whole night.

After dinner, Ian asked, "Do you like go-karts?"

"Go-karts? For real?"

"Yeah, if you're up for it, I know a place just north of here, both indoor and outdoor courses. What do you say?"