45. Nagging Headache

Thanksgiving with Harry's family was the epitome of the autumn tradition

Thanksgiving with Harry's family was the epitome of the autumn tradition. Anne was a fantastic cook, and we were all overly stuffed with stuffing and turkey, but happily so, as we retired to the living room to relax in front of the fire. Gemma's boyfriend Aiden had come to be with her for the holiday, as she had mentioned he would the last time we saw her.

I studied Gemma quite a bit during the meal, and then as we sat down in the living room afterwards. I compared her to Harry, and the resemblance was quite stunning. Down to the shape of their lips and the deep dimple just to the left of their mouths. I might have thought they were twins if I didn't know better. 

"What are you staring at?" Harry finally asked me. 

"Since you asked, I was marveling at how much you and Gemma look alike."

"I guess that means Harry is a pretty girl," Gemma teased. "Cuz I ain't no boy," she laughed. 

"No, you're certainly not," Aiden pitched in, wiggling his eyebrows. 

"I resent that," Harry spoke, pretending to be offended.

"Now, now, babe," I said. "You can't really expect me to believe that no one has ever called you pretty. You are the prettiest boy I've ever met." 

Harry groaned, throwing his head back. "Can you believe this, man?" He said to Aiden. "The girls are picking on me." 

Aiden shrugged. "Leave me out of it, dude. I just heard them call you pretty. That's better than anything Gemma's ever called me."

"Hey!" She protested. 

Gemma and Aiden were much more public with their displays of affection than Harry and I were, but I thought it was cute. I could tell they were deeply in love, which led me to wonder the same thing as Gemma had been wondering. Why hadn't he proposed yet? 

Aiden, however, answered the question as soon as it crossed my mind. I think I was the only one who noticed that he had filled a tray with champagne glasses and pulled a bottle of bubbly out of the freezer. I didn't say anything; I just tried not to smile too wide because I didn't want Harry to ask me any more questions.

Aiden spoke up softly, saying, "Anne and Des, thank you so much for welcoming me to your table, not only today but ever since Gem and I first met. You've always made me feel like part of the family." He stood up, off to the side of the fireplace. 

He turned his attention to Harry's sister. "Gem, darlin', you know I love you with all my heart, don't you?" She nodded, suddenly getting teary-eyed. It was becoming obvious to everyone where he was going with this. "I was such a fool for waiting so long, but I'm done waiting, baby. I want to spend the rest of my life with you; I'm just sorry it took me so long to say it." He bent down on one knee in front of Gemma and I stole a glance at Harry, who was becoming a little misty himself. Aiden finished his simple proposal with the line all girls dream of hearing one day, "Gemma, will you marry me?"