55. Treatment, Part 2

When we woke up the next morning, the atmosphere was somber

When we woke up the next morning, the atmosphere was somber. I knew that what Harry now faced was going to be difficult and probably unpleasant. I wished I could take it away from him, to somehow change the past so that the addiction never happened. But it did, and all I could do was to love him and support him the best I could. 

I had just poured two cups of coffee and settled in at the small dining table by the windows when Harry came to join me. He gave me a half-hearted smile, to which I simply replied, "I love you." 

He looked down, giving a little nod. "I know you do. I just can't believe you're still here, you know?"

"Stop that now. I already told you that I'm not going to leave. Do you trust me?"

He took a long sip of his coffee and answered, "I trust you...." His thought wasn't complete, but he paused to organize his thoughts before continuing. "Do you worry that maybe this is doomed to failure? I mean...us...?"

My first reaction was a powerful ache in my chest. What was he on about? I blinked rapidly, shaking my head. "I...Harry, I don't know what you're talking about." I felt a lump in my throat, like I was going to cry.

"We've known each other for six or seven months, and already we've been through jealousy, cheating, heartbreak - my fault, I know - death, and now this. Why the hell are we having such a hard time?" 

My eyebrows pulled down into a frown, and my lips into a pout. I had no idea how to respond to that. "I don't know," I whispered. Tension hung in the air, but neither of us said anything more while we finished our coffee. 

I put my cup in the dishwasher and went to get in the shower, all without saying a word to Harry. I just couldn't relate to what he was saying. At all. I was almost finished in the shower when he walked in, naked as the day he was born, and stepped into the warm jets with me. I silently stepped aside and let him soak in the spray.

He turned to me and slowly slipped his arms around my shoulders, drawing my head to his chest. "Are you okay?" He finally asked, and I could hear it from inside of him as well as from his mouth.

"Yeah, I think so. You just kind of scared me with all that talk about our relationship failing." He continued to hold tightly to me, eventually letting out a deep sigh. "Do you...is that what you want?" I asked in a quivering voice. "Do you think it would be easier for you if we weren't in a relationship?" 

He pulled back rather suddenly and grasped my face in his hands. "What?! No, baby, that's not what I meant at all. I just worry that we've been through so much drama that you'll get sick of it before we're even married."

My heart lightened a little, knowing he wasn't planning to walk away. "Okay, I'm going to tell you this one last time," I said in a playfully harsh voice. "I am not leaving you over this or anything else. Got it?" He nodded, a grateful smile spreading over his face. "Now, say it with me: Ellie loves me and she's never going to leave." His trademark dimple made an appearance as he said the words with me.