38. Relapse

We had enjoyed Saturday morning with my family, and then Harry and I headed back to Chicago

We had enjoyed Saturday morning with my family, and then Harry and I headed back to Chicago. We were almost to our apartment building when I said, "I don't know how to thank you. It would have been so different without you there. Thanks for taking me, and for taking such good care of me."

He squeezed my hand and let go quickly, preparing to turn into the parking garage. "You're welcome, Ellie. I loved meeting your family, even under these circumstances. I genuinely enjoyed being there with you."

I was emotionally spent, and at the same time, I was still clinging to mine and Harry's reunion, deciding that I wasn't taking it slow anymore. We were back together in a new and deeper way, and I wanted to bask in that a while longer. 

"Can I stay at your place?" I asked in a rather blunt fashion. Harry turned off the car and looked at me, questioning. I clarified, "I...I just don't want to be alone yet."

He exited without responding, and he came to my door and opened it. Taking my hand, he said, "You are welcome to stay as long as you want." I followed him up to the penthouse, not even stopping at my apartment. I figured I'd go down later and get some clothes to sleep in. He had to work Sunday night, so I wouldn't be staying too long. 

I dragged my things into the guest room and Harry chased me playfully, saying, "What are you doing?" 

"Why?" I said, turning around just as he tackled me. Where had this burst of playfulness come from?

"You're not sleeping in here alone. You're coming to my room."

"Is that so?" I asked, pushing my hand against his chest. "I said I wanted to stay over, not sleep with you." I stuck my tongue out like a grade school kid.

Lying side by side on the guest bed, Harry's face became serious. "You did say you didn't want to be alone. Stay in mine and let me hold you, at least." 

That did sound nice, considering his touch had been so calming throughout the turmoil of the past several days. "Just promise to behave," I demanded.

He leaned in and nibbled at my ear. "I don't know if I can promise that." 

Sparks shot through my body at the idea of him being a little naughty, but again, I was hesitant for a number of reasons. I stood up and walked to his room, calling after me, "You'll have to bring  my bags!" I laid down on his bed and immediately closed my eyes, sleep beckoning me. 

I felt the bed move as Harry climbed on. "Tired?" He asked. I nodded, humming a yes. He spread a soft fleece blanket over both of us. I felt his warm hand rubbing slowly up and down my back, then side to side, which put me quickly to sleep.

I awoke some time later to Harry's voice, which was escalating in irritation. I laid still, wondering if he was on the phone with someone from the hospital. I got out of bed and quietly walked down the hall. I didn't want to interrupt if it was an important call, but as I crept closer, I heard another voice, a woman's voice. I came to the entrance of the living room and I listened intently, wondering who was making him so upset.