soup

A/N: i don't know if anyone is actually reading and liking this story, but if there is at least one person who does, then I'm really sorry that it took me so long to update this story... well, i hope you like it and enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing this fanfic
-------------

*Hannibal's POV*

"You must be hungry... I was just making dinner, so... no, I was not, but I'm going to... for you"
For Christ's sake, Hannibal, calm down.
Will looked pained and a tiny bit embarrassed, his cheeks were flushed; not only because he walked the whole way to Hannibal's house. "No, I... shouldn't, I should just leave again."
"You just came here and it's dark. If you want to leave, I insist on giving you a lift to your parents. And only to your parents." It came out harsher than intended and Hannibal saw how Will tensed up.
"Apart from that, it would be my pleasure if you stayed" Hannibal smiled, but inwardly he cursed himself. Well, great, that sounded a bit wrong, too.
But it did work. Will even managed to answer the smile as he went inside.

*Will's POV*

"Could you... ehm, could you call my parents not today? Rather tomorrow?" He asked shyly and already while speaking he could have hit himself for implying he would be staying overnight. Who was he kidding? As if...
Feeling embarrassed, Will was more than surprised to hear a soft "of course, William" Dr. Lecter smiled at him as he chopped vegetables. They were in the kitchen and he was preparing dinner; chicken soup if you need to know.
Will felt his tension leaving him as he watched his psychiatrist cooking dinner. In a way, it was sensually mesmerising. Dr. Lecter was an artist in the kitchen, a god. Will didn't realise how he was gazing at him, nearly drooling.
But the older man had noticed and smiled in spite of himself. "By the way, you can sleep in my bed"
This harmless meant sentence had two results. First of all, the noise of his psychiatrist speaking tore Will out of his swooning. He hadn't really perceived what was said. But now that he'd notices how fixed his eyes were on his rather handsome psychiatrist he quickly -and embarassed of his longing stare- looked away from him.
Just so that he didn't see the second consequence of that said sentence; which was Dr. Lecter blushing furiously. He cleared his throat, rather conscious of his awkwardness around his patient. "I meant of course, you can have my bedroom and I'll stay on the couch, not that... you know" he cleared his throat again and dared not look at Will. Who was only now processing what Dr. Lecter had offered. Sleep in his bed, which is probably just smelling as nice as his owner... oh dear
"No, I mean thanks but..."

*Hannibal's POV*

"No problem, it'd be my..." don't say pleasure. don't. just don't. "I mean, I just want you to feel comfortable", and with a smirk Hannibal added, "and my bed is really comfortable" instantly, he regretted what he had said. My bed is really comfortable? Why not just add that it would be even more comfortable with me in it?!
Will laughed. And it was a beautiful sound. "Thank you, Dr. Lecter" Dr. Lecter noticed that in a way his own awkwardness made Will less shy.
"Call me Hannibal... I mean, you can if you want to"
Will nodded. "Okay, thanks, Hannibal" Hearing Will say his name, made him feel all warm inside.

*Will's POV*

Dr. Lecter, well Hannibal showed him where the dishes were and where the dining table was. Then he resumed to cook the soup while Will strolled through the study to the dining room. On the desk he noticed a few papers, all of them but one were full of notes. The exception looked like a drawing from afar. Apparently, his psychiatrist was not only in the kirchen an artist. Curiosity got the better of him and Will went to take a closer look at it. The drawing was very detailed and fine. It was only fitting that Hannibal would draw something so fine.
The drawing showed two men in the front, one seemed to be mourning the other one's death. Both were only half clothed and Will couldn't get his head around the feeling that it looked really gay and strangely familiar. He moved closer to the desk and then it struck him. The mourning one looked like Hannibal and the dead one looked like... like himself, like Will.
On the right bottom side was a little inscription: Achilles mourning the death of Patroclus.
The names Achilles and Patroclus stirred something in Will, he remembered that they had discussed the Odyssey in class. Achilles and Patroclus. The one died on the battlefield for the other, pretending to be the other. In Will's opinion, their story was very homoerotic. Could it be an coincidence that Hannibal portrayed them as Achilles and Patroclus?
"You set the table?" Hannibal appeared in the door frame with a pot of soup.

*Hannibal's POV*

He needed only seconds to notice what Will was looking at. How could he have forgotten that the drawing was still lying on the desk?
"I practice my drawing skills by drawing people I know... often patients and sometimes myself from pure memory." That was not exactly a lie.
Will just nodded and if he wondered why Hannibal had drawn himself and him as a gay greek couple, he didn't show it.
"I'm sorry, I forgot to lay the table. I was just admiring your drawing. You're really talented."
"Thank you" god, this is awkward. In an afterthought he added nevertheless, "if you like to I can show you some more of my drawings"
Will smiled broadly "yes please"
Hannibal motioned him to go to the dining room. "After dinner then" His patient crossed the study with a few strokes but stopped at the doorstep.
Sounding both surprised and admiring at once, he turned to Hannibal and asked, "You play the piano?"
Hannibal chuckled. "Yes that too, but what you see there is a harpsichord."
Hannibal saw something flash up in Will's eyes. "Would you play for me?" Before Will got the chance to look away, Hannibal smiled at him "of course, Will"
Still tasting his name on his lips, he watched as Will blushed slightly. But unexpectedly -quite unusual for him-, he hold the eye contact with his psychiatrist and for a while they just looked at each other. It felt like Will could see right into his soul. Hannibal let Will see him; his fears, his flaws, his desires. All in just this one gaze. Which lasted for an eternity and just a few seconds.

Will turned to set the table, unsure of what he should make of this. His self-hatred prevented him from acknowledging the care and love in Hannibal's eyes.
Hannibal licked his lips and looked at the floor. He didn't remember ever feeling this unprotected and unsure before. It was totally new for him to care so much and it hurt to see such self-hatred in Will's face. It burned his heart.

Eventually, Will sat himself down at the table and as Hannibal went to set down the pot of soup, he accidentally poured it all over Will's front. He let the now empty pot fall to the floor and rushed to Will. Who let out a gasp; both in shock and pain...