gala

"Excuse me please", Hannibal left Bedelia. Who in return glanced in the direction Hannibal's eyes were fixed on. There was a boy who seemed to be in tears. He looked disheveled with his wild brown curls. Dressed all in black and not really up to the high dress code of the event. Close to him were four probably college students standing. Presumably they were friends because they were all standing near him and tried to comfort him. The girl of the group suddenly turned her head to look at Bedelia and blushed when she realized that Bedelia was staring right back. Bedelia debated whether or not she should go over; she'd always have Hannibal as her excuse for he was crossing the room to get to the little group.

Curiosity got the better of her and she followed behind Hannibal.

Hannibal was approached by two dark haired men, the one looking really strong but shy. He was slightly standing behind the other guy with a hand softly lain on the arm. Looking at him with a search for stability in his eyes, yet full of admiration.

The shorter man smirked at Hannibal. They were bit out of earshot so that Bedelia only heard snatches of the conversation. Well, most of the time Hannibal had to listen and just nodded in response. The smug looking guy said something about leaving and hoping that a certain lady wouldn't be too disappointed by not meeting him. Then he left, the other one in tow.

Hannibal didn't give them another glance just went on to the student group.

*Hannibal's POV*

With a muttered "asshole" in his direction, Will's friends left them alone after Will had whispered something inaudibly to them. His little delay by Frederick and his new acquaintance, a shy boy named Francis, had given Hannibal some time to think about what he would say to Will. First of all he would apologize, then he needed to explain. Everything. Why he had sent him away, why he had said the things he said, why he broke up with him and why he hadn't returned any of the phone calls. Why he had broken up, he would have to ask for forgiveness again, for that alone.

He would tell him that he had really meant it when he'd said that he loved him. And that he still did and always would. And he would ask for another chance.

Or could he? The doubt was back again. He wasn't good enough for Will. And he never would be.

His perfect boy -it's safe to say he wasn't his anymore- standing right before him made him forget all he wanted to say. He bereaved him of all thoughts and feelings. His mind and heart weren't his; had never been his since the moment they had met. Only one word was left inside him and that was all he could say, "Will"

As a result he tensed up and brushed with one hand the tears from his eyes, but still some glittered on his cheek. Looking up to Hannibal, he gulped and held the eye contact. Daring, wanting him to say more, he waited.

But he couldn't speak. Just his appearance had brought Will to tears, so what good could his words do? Wouldn't each word be another deep cut with a linoleum knife right to his guts? Tearing him open, shattering what has been.

He looked down at his hands, doing the only thing he managed to think of. Tentatively he cupped Will's beautiful face with his hands and gently brushed the tears away with his thumbs. The touch brought some senses back to him. "Forgive me"

"for everything", he added. Will's hands reached for Hannibal's, and guided them away from his face but then he didn't let go, "Hannibal, you lied so much that I don't know what's real anymore. Don't ask me for forgiveness when I don't even know for what I should forgive you"

"I lied when I referred you and said I didn't want to waste my time with depression. I referred you because I had developed feelings for you. I lied when I said we shouldn't kiss because that is exactly what I always wanted since I first laid eyes on you. You looked so very kissable. I lied when I called and told you I lied. That was the lie. I lied when I said I only used you for sex. I didn't lie when I told your parents that I love you. I should have told you long before how much I love -"

"So why? Why did you break up?"

"I -" He began but could say it. He couldn't bring it over his lips, the fact that he was too afraid and put his damn reputation and job over the best thing that ever happened to him. Shame silenced his confession.

"Tell me"

"Your father threatened to sue me and -"

"I knew it, he made you break up. He is such an ass, I hate him, he-"

"Will, stop. I'm so sorry"

"What for? That my father is a complete ass. I know"

"I'm sorry for breaking up and-"

"No, he made you"

"But I should've... I shouldn't have done it I..."

"Maybe...", he really tried not to sound petty and jealous, "but seems you dodged a bullet with me, unstable and with asshole parents. Guess I have to congratulate you on your... date"

"Will, she's not my date. I don't want to date anyone...", shyly he looked into the blue eyes that hold him thoroughly, "but you"

Will stepped away, letting go of his hands. "I need to think" And with that he hurried from the ballroom. Perplexed Hannibal stood there with his hands still out, reaching for his lover who had run away. Not yet acknowledging what happened. Now Will knew, he knew it all. And it was all up to him. What would happen next. No, no. He does not know. Will did not know how Hannibal hungered for him. And how he was nourished by only looking at him. How he now knew that he would do anything for him because not doing so -like he had when he broke up- was unbearable and he would regret it forever. He would regret it forever. Forever.

After this eternity Hannibal jumped and ran after Will. Ignoring all the gasps and expressions of indignity. These people could all go to hell, for all he cared.

"Will", he called out loud. Into the darkness which awaited him outside the building. "WILL"

He got no answer, no reply, no nothing, but an echo... Will.