Chapter Three

Chapter Three

3 weeks earlier

Kevin was leant on the sound board as he listened over Kirstie's latest track, putting some final touches on it.
     Kirstie sat in a spinning chair, slowly rotating as she listened too. She tucked her legs up as she slowed to a stop at the end of the song and her producer looked over at her.
     "There is just something not quite right and I can't put my finger on it," Kevin sighs, running a hand down his face.
     "I still have a problem with the tempo change from the verse to the chorus," she tells him.
     "I thought you wanted to go with the signature Kirstie pop vibe?" he raises an eyebrow. "If we slow down the chorus, it becomes soulful, and if we speed up the verses then you run the risk of sounding like a chipmunk."
     "We don't want that," she sighs as she leans on her elbows against the back of the chair.
     "Which don't you want?"
     "Either, I mean the soulful wouldn't be so bad, but then it wouldn't fit in with the rest of the album, and also I don't know soulful and meaningful. My lyrics are too cheesy."
     "Do you want a new song writer?"
     Kirstie sits up in her seat, "Yeah, me!" she grins over at Kevin, before pulling out her phone.
     "You haven't ever written a song Kirstie, you'd still need to meet with some song writers to help you write the songs," Kevin tells her, watching as she just types away on her phone.

@kirstin_taylor: 'Here I am looking for a new song writer ;D'

Kevin pulls out his own phone and opens Twitter, "Kirstie, you shouldn't have posted that. We haven't told May yet."

@mayLunaevans: 'thanks a lot @kirstin_taylor @KOlusola #fuckyou'

Kevin slams his phone down against his leg without even flinching. "Take it down."
     Kirstie looks up at him sheepishly before she starts furiously typing away on her phone. "Done," she nods once. "What now?"
     "We find you a new writer, maybe not a permanent one, maybe not one who would have seen that," he adds with a shake if his head. "Your publicist does not want you coming off as a diva, we've dealt with that before and it'd be preferable not to go back. Is there anyone that you can think of that you want to work with, someone easy to persuade, or at least someone we have access to?"
     "If I said I wanted to change up my sound a bit, could you get me into a room with Avi Kaplan?" she raises an eyebrow as she waits for his response.
     Kevin's eyes widen as he takes a deep breath, "I'd say he's the opposite of your sound, but I can make that happen. He's between albums, but we can make it happen," he nods slowly. "Getting hold of him might be a bit of a problem though."
     Kirstie breaks into a big grin, "But I'm sure you'll get through to him, you're the best Kev!" she rushes off her seat, leaving it spinning as she tightly hugs her producer. "I'll see you later!" she skips across and picks up her bag.
     "No but Kirst, do not post anything anywhere about this, no twitter, no Instagram, no nothing. Not until I've talked to Avi and even then you know he likes his privacy," he points a finger at her warningly.
     "Got it," she nods with an absent grin, "Wait," her smile drops, "Can I hint?"
     "No," he answers immediately, "You can do nothing."
     She salutes him army style and with a nod as she mockingly marches out of the room.
     Kevin laughs as she leaves the room, calling after her, "You crack me up Kirst!"

###

Kevin knocked on the door of Avi's apartment then waited.
     Esther opened the door on the chain, "You were careful Kev?"
     "Careful as ever," he gives her a warm smile before shuts on him. Esther takes off the chain and opens the door wide for Kevin to enter.
     "How's' it going Es?"
     "Same old, and Avi oblivious as usual," she laughs and Kevin joins in.
     "Of course. Well I actually need to speak to him, so is he around. I tried calling, but you know, Avi."
     "Yeah he's in, I'll go get him," she nods, pushing her glasses up her nose as she spins on her heel to retrieve her brother. "AVI!" she yells down the hall as she walks causing Kevin to wince just a little at the shrill sound of her voice.
     Avi steps out of the opposite side hallway, watching his sister walk away before he glances across at Kevin, his long hair is out and he's in his pajamas.
    "It's two in the afternoon Avi," Kevin tells him.
     "I like to sleep."
     Kevin chuckles, "Fair enough. Should we call her back or," he gestures in the direction that she had walked off in.
     Avi shakes his head, "Nah, she'll figure it out eventually. So what do you want Kev, this is my time off."
     "Yeah I know it is, and feel free to say no-"
     "No," he grins mischievously
     "After I've told you the idea," he watches to make sure Avi is staying quiet before he continues. "So what I had in mind was you helping out another one of my clients-"
     "No Kev if this is business it goes through Esther. She decides what I do and what I don't, all that stuff so that I don't end up making a fool of myself."
     "She wants you on Social Media and yet that hasn't happened. Why can't you make this decision for yourself?"
     "Well normally I would, but you see I'm on vacation, so Esther takes care of all of that until I'm back. You didn't seriously think my big sister does everything for me?" he laughs.
     "Well no, I did think that was a little strange, but then you are you," he points to his client with a joking laugh.
     "I am, aren't I," he chuckles along. "So yeah, sorry if I wasted your time, but I'm on break and I generally just sleep and eat, I practically hibernate," he nods.
     "As long as you're at the Grammy's in exactly two weeks five days. Firstly you're nominated so you have to go, and if you don't I will sack you. And secondly I want at least one nice picture of you on the carpet, and if you don't get me that I want one of you holding that Grammy. Do you hear me?"
     "Loud and clear KO."

Present Day

Avi steps into Kevin's office with an envelope in his hand. Placing it down on the desk he slides it across to the owner of the record company.
     Kevin picks up the envelope with a smile, "I think I know what this is."
     Avi just smiles at him as the envelope is opened and Kevin slides the a4 sized picture out.
     With an eye roll, Kevin looks up at his client, "This is not what I asked for."
     "What?" Avi feigns shock as he steps around the desk to look of Kevin's shoulder at the picture. "That's me, and that's my Grammy."
     "That's your Grammy, and that's your hand," he points them out then turns slowly to look up at Avi, "Where's the rest of you?"
     "You can see my ring, you know it's me," he says, pointing out the said, very distinctive red and silver ring.
     "Okay fine that's your ring, but there than that it could be any hand, in fact it's oddly feminine- it's Esther isn't it?"
     "Okay Kev, now I'm insulted, that is my hand okay. Mine," he holds out his right hand with the ring on it to show as comparison.
     "Well you just have girly hands then."
     "I do not!" Avi frowns, as he stands up when Kevin starts to.
     "Do so," Kevin retorts as he walks over to his corkboard and pulls out a pin. "But I guess this is as good as I'm ever gonna get from you so-" he lines the picture up and pins it to the board. "Pride of place Kaplan," he turns a smile on his client. "Now get into the orange room, Kirstie's waiting.
     "I do not have girly hands," he mumbles under his breath as he leaves the room.
     "I heard that," Kevin calls after him with a laugh.
     "Shut up!" Avi yells back.