Chapter Forty-Five

Kirstie, May, Kevin and Avi are all in Kevin's office. Avi sits on the couch against the wall listening in to Kevin who is behind the desk talking to Kirstie and May who are the other side of it together and still a considerable distance apart. They're just waiting on each party's representation; Candice is running late as usual, May's however is unusually late.
     "I mean we could discuss something I'm sure," Kevin attempts to break the tension, "Like a little idea that I have, it's nothing technical so I don't think we need the managers present."
     "No," May shakes her head, "She said not to discuss anything without her, and I'm scared enough of her to listen," she jokes.
     Kirstie musters a smile, she really didn't want to have to deal with a scary manager today, Esther has given her enough of that for a lifetime.
     "Okay, so I feel it only fair to warn you Kirstie and Avi, that I know who May's manager is, and you're not gonna like it," Kevin tells them.
     "What do-" Kirstie is cut off by Candice barging into the room.
     "Oh shit," she says, trying to catch her breath as she shuts the door.
     "Language," Kevin points out with a sigh.
     "Yeah, yeah," she breathes out. "God, your demon sister's in the building, seriously thought she was following me. There's no way I was gonna put up with that bragging, know-it-all attitude today," she rolls her eyes, of course having looked at Avi when she said 'your sister.'
     "Fuck me," Avi mumbles with a shake of his head.
     "I heard that," Kevin's head snaps around to look at his best friend.
     "I should have known she'd show up here eventually," Avi says.
     "She's not here for you Avi," Kevin tells him.
     "Then why is she here?" Avi asks.
     "Because she's a really good manager and you were stupid to let her go," May replies.
     "Excuse me?" Avi's eyebrows shoot up.
     The door to Kevin's office opens again.
     "Oh god it's her," Candice backs away from the door, and scowls fall to Avi and Kirstie's faces.
     Ever professional Esther walks straight in, holds her hand out for Kevin to shake, then Candice, who is more reluctant than Kevin but accepts the gesture. She holds her hand out to Kirstie who turns away.
     Esther resists the urge to roll her eyes, "That's typical and I figured as such." And she completely ignores Avi.
     "I don't think this is gonna work May," Kirstie says.
     "No-no, Kirstie you can't say that, Citizen Queen isn't available for the first month," Candice pulls out her phone to double check the dates.
     "And here I was thinking maybe we could get along again," May rolls her eyes.
     "Avi will tour with me for the first month," she flicks her hair over her shoulder.
     Esther scoffs, holding back laughter at what she thinks is a stupid joke on Kirstie's behalf, no one would believe Avi will tour with her.
     Avi doesn't take lightly to Esther's reaction, "I'd do the whole fucking tour if it meant keeping you away."
     Kevin's head is in his hands, "Language, please."
     "See, now you've made me upset Kevin!" Avi stands up.
     Esther's hands go to her hips, "Yes, because everything is always my fault! Try take a look at your drug addict girlfriend!"
     "What the fuck?" May sits up straight, "You're a drug addict?"
     "Kirstie?" Kevin's tone is serious, his eyes wide.
     "I'm gonna be sick," Kirstie tells them, she grabs Kevin's trash can, but doesn't actually throw-up, she just holds it.
     "She's not a drug addict," Avi sticks up for her.
     "You wouldn't know a drug addict if they stole two-million-freaking-dollars from you!" Esther yells back at him.
     "Fuck you," Avi leaves the room, slamming the door behind him.
     "Well Candice are you gonna say something or have you finally learnt to keep your big mouth shut? Hmm?" Esther's eyebrow is sharp.
     "Hey, hey!" May gets louder to get Esther's attention then stands. "I hired you because I thought you were the best, super professional and all that, and I stand by my decision. But if you're just here to cause drama and screw up what could very well be my big break, then you can leave right now."
     Esther's jaw is clenched and she doesn't respond.
     "I came here today to sort out the fine details, so can we please just calmly and kindly, get on with it," May says with a deep breath and a hand on her stomach as she sits back down.
     "Thank you May," Kevin speaks up, "I agree. But as far as the executives are concerned you two are touring together, there are no if's buts or maybes. In fact they want May to do the whole tour."
     "But we asked Citizen Queen first," Kirstie interrupts.
     "And we're not going to slight them, you'll just have two opening acts once they arrive," Kevin explains.
     May shakes her head, "I can't do that."
     "There's nothing shameful about being one of two opening acts," Esther informs her.
     "No, it's not like that," May starts slowly. "Like I didn't want to tell anyone this yet but... like," she is hesitant, "Ima be bout five months pregnant by then."
     Kirstie, Candice and Kevin's jaws drop.
     "See this is maybe the kind of thing you should tell your manager beforehand," Esther snarks.
     "Watch how you speak to me or you won't be my manager for much longer. I'm telling you now, I don't take shit from anybody," May warns.
     "Congrats," Kirstie tells her.
     May smiles, "Thanks, but hold the congratulations, I don't want to risk the twelve week curse."
     "The what?" Kevin frowns.
     "That if you tell people and plan too far ahead within the first twelve weeks you're more likely to lose the baby."
     "Damn," Kirstie leans back in her chair.
     "Yeah, I know, that's why it stays in this room. The only other person who knows is my boyfriend, I haven't even told my parents yet. So if this gets out I'll come for you." May glances at everyone in the room, her gaze lingering on Kirstie longest.

A/N: Is Kirstie capable of keeping this secret? And still, what could she possibly be forgetting?

I hope you enjoyed the chapter, please vote and comment it makes my day :)

Hannah.