Chapter Nineteen

A/N: This was powered by ABBA :D

Chapter 19:

"Just get in," Avi laughs at Kirstie's tiptoeing along the edge of the small lake.
     "Is there such a thing as water snakes?"
     Avi's smile drops as he looks down at the water he's knee deep in.
     "There's no fucking way I'm getting in!"
     "I've been in here a tonne of time, I've never seen one," he says but still watches the clear water carefully.
     "Yeah and I believe you told me you'd never seen a snake here at all before yesterday. How about that hmm?" she raises an eyebrow.
     Avi has no valid comeback. So they just stand there staring at each other for a short while, him in the water, her on land. They didn't know what to do next.
     "It's clear water, you can see ev-"
     "Nope, not doing it Avi."
     "Well why couldn't you have thought of this before we stopped here?"
     Kirstie smirks, "Are you scared to step out of the water now?"
     "Kirstie, what if I step on one on the way out?" He panics.
     "Just run to me, I believe you can do it," she says trying to be supportive but also trying not to laugh. "Just think about the gorgeous view you want to show me at the top of the mountain," she smiles.
     Avi nods, taking a deep breath.
     "I mean how likely are you to step on one in five steps?" she shrugs
     "That was literally my argument to you in here Kirstie, nice try," he points accusingly at her.
     "Well getting out and getting in are two very different things," Kirstie chuckles. "Oh my god, you're really panicking," she frowns.
     "Only because you made me scared!" He complains.
     "You're a big baby," she chuckles.
     "Says she who wouldn't even get in," he retorts.
     Kirstie sticks her tongue out at him then dips her toe in the lake to prove him wrong. "Well that's cold," she says as she pulls it out.
     "Oh no shit."
     "And you were trying to make me go in, that's pretty rude Avi," she smirks.
     "I am so close to getting out and throwing you in," he points at her warningly.
     "Are you now?" she asks slyly. "Catch me!" She turns and runs straight into a tree.
     This makes Avi sprint from the water, snakes be damned. He crouches beside her as she sits up pressing her hand to her forehead.
     "Ow," she complains. "Man it's like my brain is buzzing."
     "That's just the bee's," Avi explains nonchalantly.
     "Fucking what now?" Her eyebrows shoot up then she winces from the pain that causes.
     The two of them look up to see a beehive hanging precariously above them.
     "Can we go now?" Kirstie whisper-squeaks.
     "You bet your ass," he helps her up, neither of them taking their eyes off the swinging beehive.
     "It's gonna fall isn't it?" she asks as they back away.
     "Um... I think so," they start backing away quicker.
     "Our stuff!"
     "Oh shit," Avi steps forward but then the beehive falls and the two of them run in the opposite direction back off into the forest. "We'll go back later," Avi tells her over his shoulder and grabs her hand to pull her along faster because the buzzing is crazy loud.
     "What if someone takes it?!" She gasps for air.
     "All good, I've got more guitars, and jeans and everything. Not that there's really anyone else up here," he breathes just as heavily.
     "My feet hurt... ow!" She stops running and pulls Avi to a halt too, she just about falls. "I stepping on something Avi, it really hurts!" she whines. She holds her arms out with a pout, "Carry me."
     He resists the urge to roll his eyes but crouches a little lower so that she can climb on his back.
     "You know I've got bare feet too," he says.
     "Yeah but you're a mountain man, I don't out here. Nature hates me."
     "Well I'm not so much of a mountain man that I want to be out here in just my swim shorts. I'm full of regret, the netting in them is chafing me so bad."
     "You still have more skin covered than I do, I'm in a bikini," she huffs. "And I didn't even go in the water.
     "You have no one to blame but yourself for that."
     "When we get home we can just go in my pool, hang with Tyrion and Sansa," she smiles.
     "That sounds good to me," he smiles over his shoulder.
     "Oh my god! Kirstin! Kirstin!" Someone shouts.
     Avi puts Kirstie down and turns away from where the teenager and her family are coming from.
     "Hi!" Kirstie smiles brightly at them then turns just slightly to speak through clenched teeth to Avi, "I thought you said there'd be no one else up here."
     "Guess I was wrong," he whispers back.
     "Oh my gosh Kirstin can I please, please, please get a picture with you?" she is already pulling out her phone before Kirstie can answer.
     "Um, sure," Kirstie nods.
     Avi walks a little further from the scene, not wanting to be asked to be in the photo too.
     The girl sidles up to Kirstie and snaps a few quick pics.
     "Is that Avi Kaplan?" The girl points over at Avi, and Kirstie feels like her heart stops. "Is it true you guys are dating?" she is so over excited like she's getting the biggest scoop even though Kirstie has yet to reply.
     "That is Avi," she says slowly. "He thought this would be a good place for me to come and focus on my songwriting and since he's such a good songwriter I'm following his advice," she smiles, proud of her answer.
     "So he's helping you write new songs?"
     Kirstie nods, "Yeah, exciting isn't it?"
     The girls smile falters, "Well I don't know, I like your music the way it is, please don't make it country like his."
     Kirstie frowns, "Avi's music is folk, not country and it's beautiful. What would be wrong with writing music like that?"
     "Please don't change Kirstie, I love you the way you are," she looks over her shoulder as her dad calls for her. "I'm sorry, I have to go Kirstin, I loved meeting you though," she smiles brightly and trots off.
     The blonde pop singer is left a little shocked after that, she wasn't sure she'd ever met a fan so bold. And she couldn't decide if she liked the bold attitude or not.
     Avi waits until the family are entirely out of sight before stepping up beside Kirstie.
     "Are you okay?" he asks.
     She nods, "Yeah, but Avi I think I need a ring."
     "A what now?"
     "A ring," she smiles, "Since I made a promise to you, I should get a promise ring," she jokes.
     Avi resists the urge to roll his eyes, "A promise ring to me would mean a serious relationship. Would we call this a serious relationship?" he gestures between them.
     She shrugs, "I think it's a relationship, maybe not a serious one yet, but I'd call us a couple. Would you?" She raises an eyebrow.
     He nods slowly, "I would. I mean you promised me you wouldn't let my sister get to you, so to me that is the start of a very good relationship."

A/N: As always, hope you liked :)

Hannah :)