Chapter Thirty-One

A/N: I have a lot of motivation for this story at the moment. This chapter is a little bit filler-ish but I hope you enjoy it none the less :)

"I've had enough, I've never enjoyed a tour less."
     "Well think about it like this, three more shows and it's over, three more shows and then you're back here with me," Kirstie says with a small smile. She wishes she could see him, he sounds like he needs a hug.
     "Yeah, I get to see you, and I'm very excited to hear your album."
     Kirstie laughs, "That's a lie and you know it."
     "Is it finished?"
     "So close," she says with excitement brewing, it is the last album she is going to make like this, the next will be one hundred per cent her.
     "That's great news, and I am excited to hear it Kirst, honestly."
     Her face heats up; it's nice to know that he's interested in what she's doing. "Well I did promise you you'd be the first, even though you don't like pop music," she teases.
     A slow chuckle comes through the phone, "Hilarious." He goes quiet for a moment, "I have an idea for something we can do when I get back, only if you want to of course."
     Excitement and nerves bubble within Kirstie, "What is it?"
     "Have you ever ridden a horse?"
     Kirstie gasps, "No, but I want to, I'm scared to, but I want to!"
     Avi laughs, "Don't worry, it's not scary, but yeah, we can go do that if you like?"
     Kirstie smiles, "I would like that, it's much better than what I thought you were gonna say."
     "And what was that?"
     "Camping," Kirstie shudders at the thought.
     "No, not this time, I mean we could stay at the ranch but we won't, that's a work your way up to it kind of situation."
     "Oh," Kirstie frowns, "Is it camping?"
      "No."
     "Then why can't we?" Kirstie asks.
     "Because you won't want to if you know who owns the ranch, because I left out a small detail of the plan," he sounds almost nervous and it makes Kirstie suspicious.
     "Avi you're low-key worrying me."
     "My parents own the ranch, you'd be meeting them," he rushes.
     Kirstie is quiet for too long and she knows it. But it's been a very long time since she's met a boyfriends parents, and have her and Avi even been together long enough to warrant this? Her hand is shaky and she hopes her voice doesn't come out that way too, "Oh."
     "Oh?" Avi repeats her, questioning, "If you don't want to meet my parents yet that's okay, this trip idea can wait a while."
     Kirstie knew that Avi was being completely genuine but she picks up on the subtle note of disappointment in his voice. She makes up her mind, "I'd love to meet your parents."
     "Awesome, I'm so excited."
     She can almost feel his happiness bursting through her new phone. "Just as long as you know that this means we'll be making a trip to Texas in the near future so you can meet my Mom."
     "Of course, I can't wait to meet your Mom, you've always spoken so highly of her on your blog, she seems like an amazing woman."
     "Yeah she is," Kirstie almost smiles but doesn't because in that comment she realises several things: one, Avi clearly talks about his family more than she does, because all he knows of Angelica is what he's read. Two, she hasn't updated her blog in forever, that's a further thing she's neglected since dating Avi: but it is absolutely not his fault. And three Mitch was right, her Mom has not heard about Avi from her daughters own mouth. Looks like she has another call to make after this one.

###

Kirstie absently touches buttons on the mixing board that Kevin is working at, she's bored, this is the part of making music she hates the most, she's here, she's present but she doesn't get to do anything.
     "Stop," Kevin warns, one of his arms going out as if to block her.
     Kirstie stays still a moment, watches Kevin then touches another button, sliding it all the way up.
     "Kirstie!" Kevin complains.
     "I'm bored!"
     "Do you want to hear what you just did to yourself?" He takes the headphones off and hands them to her.
     With a stubborn expression Kirstie snaps the headset on, pretending like it didn't hurt. Seconds later a chipmunk starts singing. With a blank face Kirstie removes the headphones and looks Kevin directly in the eye, "That is the exact sound I was going for."
     Kevin cracks up, letting out a sound that is only comparable to a hyena. "Okay, okay, put them back on," he slides the same button all the way down, "What does that sound like?"
     Kirstie eyes widen, "I sound like Avi," she giggles. "What else can you do? Oh no-no, wait: what if you did that to Avi's voice? What would happen?" She's only half in her seat now, excitement getting the better of her.
      "It's gonna sound downright demonic, but it'll be hilarious. Let me just save all your stuff," he presses a few more buttons, unplugs something then plugs in his phone. "Take out the headphones so we can both hear."
     Kirstie does and seconds later 'Standing By' starts playing. Kevin skips the song to a part with Avi's voice, makes a couple of adjustments then slides the button down so that only his voice is affected.
     Kirstie and Kevin both reel back in fright.
     "That's enough of that," Kevin resets the mixing board.
     "Never again," Kirstie says.
     "Agreed."

A/N: How do you guys think horse riding is gonna go?

Hope you enjoyed the chapter, please vote and comment, it truly makes my day :)

Hannah.