Chapter 42

Avi places a large box next to the table that he's set for Kirstie's grand breakfast he's made, hopefully she's feeling well enough to actually eat today. He steps back to admire his work, the line of clues, spaced evenly all the way to the bedroom. This is her first birthday they are celebrating within their relationship and he wants to set the standard high for her.
     What is in the box is the one thing Kirstie has been asking him about since she found out about it. It isn't the one thing per say, but it is an instrumentally important accessory for her request to come true. And it's in her favourite colour.
    He smiles to himself and then glances across at the table set up to restaurant standards. The food is covering the table; he'll have to call it more a brunch than a breakfast, just because of the one very important lunch item on the table, mac and cheese. He reckons that'll be packed up for later though.
     Avi rushes forward to straighten a napkin when Kirstie runs up behind him and wraps her arms around his waist. Her hands cross over in front of him and Avi has to laugh at what's in her hands, the first note he left and her phone.
     "What? You left all the other notes behind Kirst?" He speaks over his shoulder, giving her a smile.
     "This is the most important paper you could give me Avi," she holds up a blue square of paper, clutched tightly in her hand. "You, you as is Avi Kaplan have promised to let me take a picture of us to post to Instagram, I mean you wrote 'instantgram,' but it's okay." She leaps at him again, pulling him into another tight hug. She then pulls back and holds up her phone, cuddled into his side she gives a beaming smile to the miniature image of them on the screen.
     "Wait," Avi turns away before she can take the picture.
      She turns a hurt frown to him, lowering her arm.
     "No, I'll still take the picture, I just want you to be sure that this," he points to the ground, "Is the moment you want to capture."
     "That's a good point, how about I take a few today?"
     Avi immediately starts shaking his head, "No-"
     "Hear me out, I take a few then pick the best one to post tonight. And I promise I'll only post one, but I will want to keep the others to remember, so please don't ask me to delete them. You can trust me with this Avi." She reaches out to take his hand in hers and gives him a small reassuring smile.
     "Alright, but try and get some of the food in the picture, I worked hard on it," he jokes.
     "Yes! Get that mac and cheese," Kirstie darts around her boyfriend, grabbing his arm and pulling him down into the same kneeling position as her, the dish between them, behind them on the table. She hands him a fork and picks up another for herself, then with a big goofy grin she holds the fork near the large dish and outstretches the other arm. Avi mimics her and she takes the picture, turning to him with an impossibly happy smile, she leans in to give him a quick kiss.
     "Thank you," she tells him as she turns back to her phone to look at the picture again.
     "No worries, but after that smile I may just have to let you upload two."
     As her head whips around in surprise he holds up a fork full of pasta for her to take. "Seriously?" She questions before she accepts the mouthful, she holds her hand over her mouth as she speaks again, "This is amazing, you made it?"
     "Yes for both. See I really like that picture we just took, and I know there's another good one to come. First though you have to go and collect your notes," he tells her with a laugh.
     Kirstie immediately hops up and races back out of the room.

"Okay, so what I've gathered so far about your plans, we will be going to the park," she counts off her fingers, watching him as he gives her a nod, "There may be a picnic?"
     He nods again, taking a bite from the food on his plate.
     She takes a bite herself and continues to talk with her mouthful, "We've got the pictures happening, and the food, and there's gonna be fun in bed tonight, but I couldn't figure out this one," she reaches across the table to pick up one of the notes.
     He leans over to look at the paper and nods, "Right well that's because this is pretty important." He reaches down beside him to pick up the large box from earlier and places it into her waiting hands.
     "What is it?"
     "Open it Kirst," he smiles.
     With a sly smile she undoes the bow then pulls the shiny silver lid off, removing layers of tissue paper until she finally uncovers the gift. "You are kidding!" She screams, launching her hands into the box, pulling the curved object out as she stands up, letting the box drop and all the tissue paper fly out.
     "You like it?"
     "I freaking love it!" She places the sparkling red helmet on her head then leaps around the corner of the table, "Oh my god, I'm so badass!" She drops into Avi's lap and gives him yet another tight hug, this one being a little more awkward seeing as her head is now a lot bigger. "Avi, it's my favourite colour too," she smiles even though he is unable to see it behind the mouth part of the helmet. "Are we going for a drive today?"
     "Of course, that's why I bought you the helmet hon," he smiles. "And when we're all dressed and ready to go on the ride, I bet that'll be the picture you want to publish."
     "Shit yeah! Us on the bike!" She claps.
     A chuckles escapes Avi, "See, I knew it," he smiles.
     "Okay, let's get dressed and go now!" She stands up.
     "Hold on, hold on," Avi stands too, "When was the last time you upchucked? Because the last thing I need is you to puke on my bike too," his voice is laced with humour but he is totally serious.
     "I'm feeling soooo much better babe, I didn't get up once last night."
     Avi's eyebrow shoots up at the known lie.
     "No-no, okay, once, but that was it and it was hours ago," she assures him. "The one right when you went to bed, not once after that, I swear," her eyes are pleading.
     "Okay well, it's a little drizzly out there but it's supposed to clear up this afternoon, so if you keep breakfast down we're on the bike, if not: we'll go another day, I promise."
     "And I promise it's gonna stay down," she smiles. "I'm just gonna take a shower so I'm 100 per cent ready for later," she bounces in her spot before squealing and running off upstairs.
     Avi smiles as he watches her before beginning to tidy up.
     And Kirstie figures that what Avi doesn't know won't hurt him, because when she throws up she decides not to tell him.

MindblownOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara