o n e: Just The Beginning.

"Don't hold your breathe, I'm not loosing sleep over you, I'm Mr. Reckless with a capital R"

-Reckless, You Me At Six
—-
"Tessa Lynne we need you in the student council office." The receptionist spoke through the intercom, making my head that was dipped down reading Shakespeare's Hamlet raise in curiosity.

"Tessa Lynne you may go, just come and retrieve a hall pass from me please." My AP Literature teacher Mr. Goodman voiced, motioning me to come to his desk.

"Yes, sir," I responded, putting my bookmark in my book then standing, brushing off my maroon skirt before making my way to the front of the classroom. Mr. Goodman handed me a hall pass with a nod of his head as I spoke a small 'thank you' trying not to disturb everyone else who was also reading.

I briskly walked to the door, stepping out of the classroom and closing the door behind me with a soft 'click'. My black flats coming in contact with the linoleum tile of the school hallway was the only thing that could be heard, as classes were in session, making me want to just go back to my own class. I was at a very interesting part in Hamlet and I wanted to finish it before the end of the day so I could get started on my report. Even though it wasn't due for another two weeks, I liked to complete assignments early. However, I loved being school president and I would do whatever they needed me to in order to make the school a better place for the students attending. I continued walking down the vacant hallways, well almost vacant. Just as I turned the corner, a familiar head of brown hair hidden under a black beanie came into my line of vision.

He was slumped against the lockers, his phone in his hands while scrolling through what I assumed was social media, not even looking bothered by the fact that he was, in fact, skipping classes. I, on the other hand, would have had an aneurysm if I ever skipped.

It was Roman Anderson.

He was the school bad boy and the polar opposite of me. He moved here from California in 9th grade, and of course, all of the girls fell head over heels for him and his "perfect body". Everyone but me, of course. I've always been too busy with school, cross country, and family to invest in a relationship. Sure, some boys had shown interest in me, but I declined politely and that was the end of it. I have come across what seems like millions of pictures of Roman at some party with some girl clung on his arm like a koala while scrolling through my Instagram feed. It made me sick to my stomach that girls threw themselves at him so carelessly. Did they have no self-respect at all? Everyone knew that he was just looking for a meaningless hookup, and not a relationship and would most likely not remember their name when the sun rises the next morning, which didn't seem appealing to me at all. I had even heard that girls had given him their virginity, which makes my faith in humanity lessen extremely. I, of course, was still a virgin, but when the time did come, I was not wasting my precious purity on some man-whore who would forget about me the next day. I was going to have my first time with someone who I loved, and who loved me back just as equally.

Just as I thought I was going to sneak past him without him acknowledging me, his eyes snapped up from his phone, locking with mine. My pulse quickened, my throat became dry, and my palms sweaty. I had never held eye contact, much less talked with Roman, so I was hoping today would not be the day to change my luck. My wishes were thrown in the gutter when Roman let out a loud whistle, making me flinch. I picked up my pace, almost passed the arrogant boy, but his smooth voice piercing through the air caught my attention.

"Looking good sweetheart. Those legs, damn. Do you work out?" I could practically hear the smirk in his voice, and my face flushed with anger. I've always hated catcalls, I thought they were disgusting. I guess you could call me a feminist, and Roman calling me out like that only fueled the fire deep in my chest.