t w e n t y: Just Keep Skating!

Last Friday Roman and I decided we would go ice skating together on Saturday. Today was that Saturday. I spent the whole week thinking over it again and again. Darren has put me on edge with this 'date' thing that he mentioned at lunch a few days ago. I know once again I'm overthinking the whole situation, but after he said a 'movie date' is like a first date, I keep feeling like today would be a day most consider as a date too. Roman and I are just friends, why does it matter what other people think? I'm not going to let myself worry about it anymore. 

I woke up around ten today and went on a five-mile run, preparing for my race in four weeks now. Once I arrived back home I took a shower, blow-dried my hair, and applied some makeup. Now here I was at 11:45 trying to decide what to wear when Roman would be here in fifteen minutes to pick me up. Obviously, I should wear something warm, so I grabbed a white shirt, my favorite grey cardigan sweater, some leggings, and black boots. I grabbed some gloves too, knowing that they would freeze up in the skating rink. I grabbed my purse and headed downstairs into the living room where my mom was reading a magazine. 

"Hey, where are you headed out to?" my mom looks up from her magazine to me with curious eyes. 

"Oh, actually Roman and I are going ice skating," I smile sheepishly. 

"Ohhhhh, so you two are friends now?" she smirks at me, knowing that her prediction on Roman and I's relationship was in fact correct. 

"Yes," I smile and roll my eyes at her. "And don't you even dare say that I told you so," I quickly add. I was actually surprised that my mom ended up being right. From the very first time Roman ever step foot in this house, she knew that something would happen between us. Nothing romantic, but something. Moms are always right of course so I should have seen this coming. 

She holds her hands up in mock surrender before adding, "I mean I was right." 

Just then a  car horn sounds from the driveway and I know Roman has arrived. I yell a quick goodbye to my mom before scurrying out the door, knowing Roman can be impatient. 

I heave the metal car door open to reveal a very comfy looking Roman. He had a sweatshirt that's even big for him on, black gloves, and jeans. His look was complete with a black beanie that had his brown curly locks barely peeking out from the top. 

"Hey," I say as I slide into the leather seat. Roman puts the car in reverse and flashes me a smile before backing out of my driveway. We pull out onto the main road, the car surrounded by the colorful leaves of fall adorning the trees. 

"You're in for a treat today Tess," Roman grins. He seemed to be in a very good mood today, much to my appeal. 

"Yeah? Why's that?" I grin back.

"Because we're going to an outdoor rink complete with hot chocolate and Christmas lights," he looks very proud of his discovery and I can't help but laugh.

"Christmas lights? It's barely November," I giggle.

"Yeah, but you can't have ice skating without Christmas lights. A lot of people put their Christmas trees up on Thanksgiving actually. Patrick told me that, but I wouldn't know because I've never had a Christmas tree," he confesses. 

I gasp a bit too dramatically. 

"What?????" 

"Yeah, you know Rick. Such a party pooper," He sighs jokingly, sticking his bottom lip out into a small pout.

"Okay then it's official," I say. He waits for me to continue but when I don't he speaks up instead. 

"....What's official?" he raises his eyebrow at me, urging me to finish my statement.