t w e l v e: Silence

I hate hospitals. They make my stomach churn and my hands clammy out of nervousness and anticipation. Not the good kind. I had been here for over a whole day, but the effects of being here hadn't taken a toll on me up until now. Most of the time I've been asleep, and the rest of the time I was talking to Roman. I was distracted and didn't have time to think about currently being in a hospital.

However, now Roman was gone and I was left alone to my thoughts while my mother discussed things with the doctor. I can't really complain though because I'm the one who told Roman to go home. We were talking and slowly his head started to droop onto my pillow, his eyes slipping shut. I woke him back up before he drifted off into deep slumber and demanded that he go home and get some well-needed sleep.

At first, he refused and said that he wanted to stay and keep me company until i got released because he still felt terrible about the whole situation, even though I told him numerous times that everything was fine and there was no need to stress out. I reasoned with him and offered that he just come to my house tomorrow to keep me company that way he could go home, eat a real meal, shower, then sleep. He finally agreed and trudged out the door in his overly tired state.

I flipped on the TV as I awaited my mother's arrival where she would tell me when I get to go home. It would either be later on today or early tomorrow morning, and because I desperately wanted to sleep in, I was hoping i could return to the comfort of my own bed by tonight.

Spongebob Squarepants was on and I couldn't have been happier about this. When I was little this was my favorite show contrary to most little girls who loved My Little Pony, and Strawberry Shortcake. Yes, today I was the most girly-girl you could find, but the younger version of me didn't care about dresses, or big bows, instead, she cared about going outside to play in the mud and catching the latest superhero movie. Weird, I know.

I joyfully watched the funny yellow sponge make a fool of himself to take my mind off of the burning desire to ditch this place. This hospital gown was starting to itch in all the wrong places and I'm sure my hair looked like a family of rats had been living in it for the past six months.

Two episodes later, in comes my mom thankfully looking content. I give her a hopeful look, as if to ask what the verdict is, and much to my happiness, she nods her head excitedly. I let out a loud "Yes!" but quickly after put my hands to my throat in pain.

"God, careful Tess. Your throat isn't healed yet," she shakes her head at me, gathering my belongings that were scattered over the room which included my clothes, phone, and glasses.

"You ready to go? I have to call a nurse up to bring you a wheelchair," she asks, stuffing all my things in a bag she had brought with her.

"Why a wheelchair?" I could walk perfectly fine, so there was certainly no need for a wheelchair.

"Because they don't want you being too active until tomorrow. Even then you can't jump, run, or do anything that causes too much physical exertion," she answers, giving me a pointed look.

"Mom, i can walk just fine, see," I get up and out of the bed, and the minute my bare feet hit the tile floor, my knees give out from under me. Just before I go tumbling down, my mom catches me under my armpits, setting me back up on my feet where I instantly plop back down on the bed. She glares at me, and I look away like a guilty puppy.

"Well, I thought  I could walk perfectly fine," I mumble under my breath, making my mom roll her eyes at me.

"Just wait for the wheelchair, Tessa," my mom sighs as she sits down in the chair Roman was occupying yesterday.