t h i r t y e i g h t: Rose petals

The morning after I received the two suspicious notes from my locker- and even worse- in my own bedroom, was a very conflicting one. I didn't know what to do when I thought about whether I should tell Roman or not. 

One the one hand, Roman had already made so much progress and we were getting closer and closer every day to getting Rick arrested. I knew that if Roman thought even the slightest bit that I was in harm's way (even though that's inevitable in this situation) then he would immediately cease any plans or advancements of our plan. 

On the other hand, though, this was serious because whoever this was managed to get into my house through my second-story bedroom window. Who knows what else they're capable of? Somehow I wanted to believe that this person had nothing to do with Roman. Perhaps it was a cross country runner from another school attempting to threaten me before our final race taking place a mere two months from now. However, deep inside I knew that this wasn't the case. 

When I think about the fact that someone at school planted a note in my locker, that eliminates the idea that these notes could be coming from Rick. I think it would be pretty obvious if a forty-something, tall, bald man was in a high school acting suspiciously. Even so, I can't think of anyone from school that knows about this whole circumstance. Not even Roman's friends- Evan, Patrick, and Nicholas- know about it. 

I groan and pull at my hair in frustration. I needed to leave for school in fifteen minutes and I wasn't even ready yet. Should I just stay home "sick" so I can think of a way to solve this mess? 

No! 

I can't do that. Even though this is weighing heavily on my mind, school is more important and if I show whoever this is how much their notes are effecting me, then that's letting them win. 

 I throw on a pair of leggings and one of Roman's hoodies I stole from his suitcase yesterday, not even bothering to apply any makeup today. My classmates are in for a surprise this morning. I don't think I've ever worn less than jeans and a somewhat-nice shirt to school before and I always make sure to at least swipe some mascara on. However, today the odds were just not in my favor and I didn't have the energy to try. I grab a banana to eat during my drive just as Casey is slipping on his shoes by the door. 

"You ready?" I ask him. 

He looks up from his shoelaces muttering a "yeah let me just-" but stops when he sees my appearance. "Woah Tess, why do you look like that?"

"Gee thanks, little bro," I scoff. "I didn't sleep well last night so I overslept," I make a simple and believable excuse. 

"Well, that's a first for you. Senior year must really be taking a toll on you then," he snickers as he stands up, slinging his school bag over his shoulder. 

"Oh you have no idea," is all I say in response. 

-----

Casey and I drive to school in silence, as most of the time, he falls asleep even though it's only a ten-minute drive. I pull into my assigned space in the student lot and shake Casey awake and he lets out an exaggerated groan. 

"We're hereeeee!" I sing cheerily to piss him off. He's one of those kids where it's pretty much deadly to awake them from a nap. 

"Shut up," he spits but I just laugh, used to his moody tendencies. "See you after your practice," and with that Casey piles out of my car and strides over to his baseball friends on the front lawn of the school. 

I turn off my car and grab my bag from the back seat before exiting my car as well. As I'm walking towards the front entrance of the school, suddenly I'm overwhelmed with the sense of paranoia that someone is watching me. My heart rate picks up when I realize I'm going to have to be extra aware of my surroundings now that these notes have surfaced.