f o r t y s i x: Crash and Burn

Today was now Thursday, and usually, I would be happy about that because that means tomorrow is Friday. However, today I'm not too happy about that. Today is the first student council meeting being held since Roman and I's breakup. To say I was on edge would be an understatement. I know it's going to be weird sitting next to Roman discussing prom in front of everyone like everything is normal, because once I thought he and I would be attending Prom together. 

Prom is, after all, only a month and a half away. That may seem like a long time, but really it's not. That time will fly by much quicker than expected, so anything that's not settled already will need to be figured out today. We already have a venue, music, and theme planned but there's still the matter of food and volunteers to help set up on the day of. 

After last period I feel my heart begin to race unnecessarily amidst my walk to the student council office. Roman and I should be able to handle being in a room together without it being awkward, right? Besides, I would have Gemma and Darren there with me for moral support. After I won the presidency I begged them both to join student council so I wouldn't be alone so I'm forever thankful for their presence. 

As usual, I'm the first one to arrive at the meeting. I take my time pulling out my notebook and a pen, trying to eat away the tension I feel myself creating and succumbing to. Soon enough, more students are filling in the room, taking seats at the large table or standing around the perimeter of the room. 

Finally, Gemma and Darren waltz in together, laughing about something. When they spot me they both light up with smiles and give me a wave. 

"Hey Tess," Gemma greets me, taking the seat to my left with Darren on the other side of her. The seat to my right is reserved for none other than the vice president, A.K.A Roman. 

"So, are you nervous about this at all?" Darren gets straight to the point. 

"Darren, I told you not to bring it up!" Gemma scolds him. Clearly, they had been talking about the situation beforehand. 

"It's fine, Gem," I say honestly then turn to Darren. "I'm a little anxious about it, but as long as I stay focused on Prom this will be over before I know it." 

Before anyone else can get a word out, I spot Roman entering the room from the corner of my eye. I avoid looking at him with all my might, but when I get a whiff of his familiar scent as he sits next to me the urge gets stronger. 

Luckily, Gemma notices me struggling so she picks up a new conversation. "So, Tessa last Friday at the party Jake Williams was totally checking you out," she smirks at me. My eyes bulge out of my head at her words. What was she doing? Just because Roman and I broke up doesn't mean I want to make him jealous on purpose. 

"Don't be ridiculous," I choke out, feeling my cheeks heat up. 

"I'm serious!" she protests. "He couldn't keep his eyes off of you in that dress." 

To my right, I hear Roman take a sharp intake of breath as he shifts awkwardly in his seat. So much for acting natural. Obviously, Gemma had other plans. 

"That's enough, Gemma," I give her a pointed look. Even though I wanted her to stop with her little game, I couldn't help but feel a little smug when Roman got a little antsy. 

Just then, Mrs. Montgomery walks into the room, her signature exaggerated smile gracing her face. "Okay, Tessa everyone has signed in with me. You can begin now," she directs me and I nod at her in return. I've never been so eager to start a meeting in my life. 

I stand up and begin going over everything in my notes, not looking at Roman once. 

---

After the meeting, I stay behind while everyone clears out. Well, everyone besides Roman. It's the vice president's job to straighten out the room after the meeting and usually, this would be the time that Roman and I joke about stupid things people said during it. Today though, it's eerily quiet besides the sound of him pushing in chairs and me flipping through the notes I collected.