f i f t y: Threats

I awake to the sound of birds chirping and the annoyingly bright sun peeking through the blinds of my window. I let my eyes peel themselves open only to a squint, flitting them around my empty bedroom confusedly. 

What the hell happened last night? 

I dig through my memory in attempts to remember how I got home, now placed in my bed yet still in my clothes from the night before. I sit up slowly, feeling utterly drained of energy for some reason. I bring my hand up to rub my eyes but freeze when I see the gauze wrapped around my palm, a little tinge of red peeking through. 

I furrow my eyes, not really remembering how in the hell I injured myself. I distinctly remember getting to the warehouse before seeing Rick, then running with Roman back to Nicholas's car. 

Then it hits me. 

The moment my life flashed before my eyes when I ran into the street, a car almost hitting me dead on. I didn't escape completely unscathed though because I ended up falling over, pushing my hand out into the pavement to prevent a face-plant. The blood running down my hand in ugly streams pierces my mind, making me feel woozy once again. 

I had passed out in the car ride home. 

I guess Roman had brought me inside and up to my room? 

I remove my legs from under my comforter, dangling them off the side of my bed. I go to grab my phone off of my nightstand to call Roman and ask what went down after I lost consciousness, but instead, there's a note folded neatly on the surface. I pick it up and unfold it, letting my eyes trail over Roman's surprisingly neat penmanship

Tess, 

I know you must be confused so I'll briefly go over what happened after you passed out. Nicholas drove straight to your house so I could carry you inside. Luckily, your mom was out with Casey so no one saw anything. I cleaned your hand and wrapped it up to stop the bleeding before putting you in bed. I'm sorry I couldn't stay, but I figured your mom wouldn't like that very much. Anyway, I hope you're feeling better once you wake up. Meet at my apartment around noon if you're awake by then.

Love, Ro

Ps. I love you <3

I smile at the sweet note, loving how he knows exactly what to do to make me feel better. I feel a sense of relief that nothing awful happened after I passed out. Something like Rick going after us or us getting pulled over. I pick up my phone to check the time, seeing that it's only around eight in the morning. 

I send a quick text to Roman, letting him know that I'm alive and well so I'll be at his apartment around noon like he requested. We have a lot to talk about regarding last night, but first, I'm in desperate need of a run. My race is a week from today, which is next Saturday to be exact. I need all of the extra training I can get, and now is a perfect time for that considering all the stress I went through last night. I could really use the fresh air. 

I slip into some leggings, a sports bra, and my running shoes before leaving a note for my mom on the kitchen counter. I close the front door behind me gently, then start on the usual path I take for my Saturday morning runs. 

My pace starts off steady. Not too fast, yet not too slow. I need to ease into a faster pace, not wanting to overuse my muscles too soon. I let the wind lap over my skin, reveling in the feeling of the Spring air. As much as I want to let my mind wander off to the events of last night, I force myself to keep my head in the game. If I start to think about that now then I'll lose focus on what's important at this very moment: my training.