Chapter 17 - oneirataxia

Brad's POV

"Tay is gone."

What the f is that supposed to mean. Mymind went to the worst possible scenario. No. No. No. How the f am I supposed to live with myself now.

Keep your cool Brad.

"Lol, what do you mean by that." I said smugly.

"YOU JACKASS!" yelled Ashlynn

Got to say, I was quite taken aback.

"She's gone." she started wailing in her hands.

People started looking, pointing, whispering. Some even had the nerve to take pictures. I glared at the direction a flash of light just came from, making the idiot cower.

I grabbed her moist hand and dragged her to a quiet corner.

"Care explaining?" I said gritting my teeth to keep calm.

"Go to her house and see for yourself." she said with hatred and walked away hastily, yanking her wrist from my grip in the process.

--

So picture this guys. The girl that you were best friends with for since like forever is loyal and devoted to you. Then you do the most shitty thing a guy in this situation could do. Fall for her, make her sorta, hopefully fall for you too then have some sort of delusion that being popular is extremely important and ditching her in the process because she was a nerd. You see her everyday in the halls but a voice keeps telling you that it is crucial that you do not engage. Repeat. Do. Not. Engage. Then you see her with some other guy and you're thinking what have I done. Then she gets kidnapped. And it was a near death scare. Then, she's in the hospital and she woke up never going to forgive you. And guess what's next? 

She's gone. 

Which was why, in the middle of the day, I am now running to her house. I was nearly out of breath when I reached it. My legs were burning and I was panting like crazy. And to think I was fit. Her house seemed empty. No lights out the windows.

Maybe they're just out? My subconscious hoped.

Keep. Your. Calm.

I jogged up the steps to the white porch before my knuckles rapped on the door.

I expected some shuffling inside but nope. Nothing.

Knock.

Knock.

It wasn't long before I started banging the door with my fists.

Fuck it.

My fingers flipped the rug at the doorstep to see the familiar bronze key. It's a wonder they still do this. The key was a little rusty but it went in just fine. The door clicked before I turned the cold brass doorknob.

It's been a while since I was last here. Memories came flooding back. I wasn't sure what was where.

But I'm pretty sure there were furniture in a house.

Plain wood floors.

The boards were already dusty as if the house was left for centuries. So this is what she meant.

Taylor was gone.

Before I knew it, I fell to the floor on my knees. I ran a hand through my hair.

This house. This house was so filled with memories. Our memories. And because of me, everything is gone. What have I done.

Creak.

The floorboard above me creaked. Again and again. Footsteps. YES!