Chapter 36 - four walls

Taylor's POV

Dust and ash choked the air, dotting my eyelashes making them itch as they attempted to flutter open. Speckles of red flew across my face. The strong scent of blood filled my nostrils.  The swerving of a car caught my attention. Forcing my fingers to grip the edge of the turned over car's metallic window frame, I pulled myself out, yelping in pain as a gash made itself evident alongside half of my left calf. 

"She's probably dead." a familiar voice said. 

"I said CHECK." another belted. 

Threaded boot footsteps started making their way across the asphalt towards me. My instincts caused my eyes to shut and my arms to limp. 

Don't. Move. A. Muscle. 

The owner of the voice neared me and as he bent down, a familiar scent hit me. And then I saw it,  blue streaks through the small gaps between my eyelids. Killian. 

"Dead." he pronounced. 

Stupid, you gotta check a pulse. 

"Check her pulse." A voice which I now recognised as Reese voiced from a distance. 

"Checked." Killian lied as he stood up. 

Idiot. 

The revving of an engine signalled safety. I grunted before pulling myself away from the wreckage. A yelp escaped my lips as my calf bled even more. Untying the trusty jacket around my waist, I tied a tight knot around the wound before stumbling to the other side of the car. 

"Lynn-" I managed to croak. "LYNN!" 

I bent down before the my eyes soaked in a moment that made the Top 5 worst moments of my life list. 

Brad's POV

"I knew he looked familiar." Blake concluded, his brows furrowing deep in thought. 

We were seated around the coffee table, Dylan, Blake, Justin and me. A full plan laid out in front of us. 

The familiar tone of 'Friend, Please' by Twenty One Pilots filled the air as I scrambled for my phone in my jeans pocket. I felt a a small sense  of warmth as I saw the caller ID. 

"Hello" 

"B-b-brad!" Her voice was haggard, her breathing uneven. 

My heart jerked at the thought of anything happening to her. Unconsciously, a hand moved to brush through my hair. 

"Taylor, what's wrong, are you alright?" 

Blake and Justin stood up in shock, while Dylan followed suit so he didn't look like someone who doesn't care. Tay didn't answer. Ins't she breathed heavily and I heard some shuffling. 

"Tay!?" I yelled into the phone before putting it out on loudspeaker. 

"It's Ashlynn." she breathed. 

Paleness spread through Justin's face, his lips parted in worry as he grabbed his phone before brushing a hand over his face not knowing what action to take. 

"She's not breathing, -i don't know but there's a pulse. I think."

"Okay, okay Tay, calm down. I'm here. Ground yourself." 

That seemed to do the trick before I heard the clicking of heels being taken off. It's one of the little things I knew about her that still exists within her. 

flashback

I weaved through the vertical pipes lining the side of Taylor's house. The night sky was evident with stars replacing the cloud's daytime position. As my hands reached the familiar window panel, my face peered into the room. Instinctively, I dodged at a flying object coming through the window.