CHAPTER 29

Chapter 29: Life Support

SKEET'S POV

If I could only take her place in that hospital bed, I would never hesitate to do it. Seeing her in that state rips my heart.

Why does it has to be her?

Is this my karma?

Is this what I get from hurting her?

If this just a dream I will force myself to wake up and never sleep again.

But my heartbeat says it all. She is in critical, and it hurts that I can't do anything to lessen her sufferings.

I want to shout. I want to yell the world for letting this happen to her but I always end up blaming myself again and again.

"Doc, may improvement na ba?" Mom asked the doctor who got out from the ICU.

"Sinasalinan na siya ng dugo sa ngayon, Mrs. Mijares. Ang magandang balita ay may nag-volunteer na magiging eye donor ng pasyente."

"Talaga po, Doc? Sino naman po?" Gold asked almost hysterically. Her eyes were still red from crying. I know she loves Nisyel as well, and I'm too blind to notice that before.

"She is actually a friend of mine. Sad to say she is a dying cancer patient. Do you happen to know Adrianna Colleen Pelaez?"

Adrianna Colleen Pelaez.

The name sounds familiar. I just can't remember her.

Tss. It's not important whether I know her or not anyway. I want to thank her for such generosity. But still I would willingly give my eyes to my Nisyel if she didn't happen to donate hers.

"Kilala mo ba siya, Andrea?" Suddenly Mom asked my Nisyel's mother. I don't want to talk to her yet. I hate her but it doesn't change the fact that she's my beloved's mother. Maybe eventually I could fix things about us, but definitely not now.

"Andrea?"

"Ayos ka lang ba, Andrea? Natulala ka. Kilala mo ba 'yung Adrianna Colleen Pelaez?"

"O-oo. A-anak siya ni daddy sa labas."

Mom gasp in surprise. I don't want to hear their story anyway. I only think about my Nisyel. Damn it! I missed her already.

"M-may kapatid ka pa pala. Akala ko mag-isa ka lang."

"Mahabang istorya, Amethyst, hindi ko lang akalaing may sakit pala siya. Ang alam ko bata pa siya, kasing edad lang yata ni Nisyel. Noong mga panahong nakulong kasi kami ni mommy ay nambabae si daddy."

"Kung gano'n dapat pala natin siyang pasalamatan sa pagbibigay niya ng kanyang mga mata kay Nisyel."

"Doc, maaari ko bang puntahan ang kinaruruonan ng kapatid ko?"

"Sure. This way, Mrs. Pelaez."

...

"WE will do everything we can. Pero inuulit ko, we cannot guarantee the full success of this operation. Apektado ang utak ng pasyente dahil sa internal bleeding. It's either she will not survive the operation or she will survive but she will lose her memory, forever. Worst is, if she will survive the operation, may posibilidad ding babalik sa pagkabata ang kanyang isip. Let's just pray for her survival. 'Yon lang, excuse us."

"FVCK!!!"

"Mahabaging Diyos!"

"Magtiwala tayo sa Itaas, apo. Iyon ang kailangan ngayon ng girlfriend mo. Naniniwala akong hindi niya ito pababayaan. Magtiwala ka," grandma said in the midst of her tears. They just arrived from a vacation.