Chapter 27: Friends of the Deepest Meaning

The colosseum was in absolute shock. I would've been too, but I was actually hoping for something like this. It would be the only way I could get close to her without trying to knock her unconscious. In hindsight, it might've been a pretty dumb plan, but there was no time to change it.

My blood practically splashed on her claws and fur, staining it to a lighter red color. Zhaniah growled madly, and snapped at me. "Oh shut it..."

"Justin! Get out of the way!" Beowulf yelled, as he, Richard and Michael bounded towards us.

"Don't come any closer!" I snapped at them, then stopped and coughed up blood. I ignored the pain, watching the three. "Any.. Anyone else would set her off.. She's waiting for me to make a move.. Just.. Trust me, alright?" They were hesitant, but decided to step back and let me handle it.

"Hey.." I said, finally facing the shewolf. She growled at me, baring her fangs. "Those dull things don't scare me.. Honestly, you know me this well, you should understand that you being wild isn't an issue." She howled, clawing my left eye with her free hand. Blood shot out as I closed it, but I kept close and pushed the pain away from my mind. "Fine.. Be that way." I chuckled. She snapped again, biting deep into my right shoulder. I cried out at that one, but still kept in place and refused to move. Gripping her wrist tight, I steadied my breathing, and smiled weakly.

"This is stupid.. Why would you jump in the way like that," Beowulf said. "No more of this ridiculous stunt! I'm not letting you throw your life away on a gamble!" He ran towards us. I rose my hand suddenly, a flaming wall shooting up around us, cutting us from the outside world. "Noisey one, isn't he?"

She growled at me, and I took a deep breath. "I don't know if you can hear my voice, or even understand what I'm saying, but you need to calm down.. Whatever she showed you, it's not real... It's a bad memory or thought... You're over reacting." She snapped and clawed my right cheek deeply. Even when it healed, I knew it would scar. Honestly, I liked that one. Scars are cool looking.

"You're.. Probably wondering why I did something as stupid as this.." I chuckled. She growled louder, and it seemed like my voice was annoying her. However, that wouldn't stop me from talking, not now. My blood seemingly began crawling away, burning in the flames. "Honestly, I can't exactly say why.. I've been known to do stupid things, and this definitely takes the cake.." She looked at me, eyes full of blood thirst. "Hey, shut up for a second while I'm talking..." She snapped again, but to my surprise, she began calming down. "Wow.. You actually heard me..." I closed my good eye, lowering my head so our foreheads touched. "Come on.. If you keep hurting me before I can heal.. Especially with that hole in my stomach, I'll die ya know.."

Her growling quieted, replaced by jumbled, gentle words. After a few minutes, her words began coming back, nice and clear, and her tone was empty. "Why did you jump in the way, jackass?... I could've killed you."

"Could've.. And might actually.. I'm still bleeding out.." I laughed, coughing slightly.

"Why'd you go so far?!" She yelled suddenly. "What good would it do you to practically kill yourself just to calm me down?! Why would you give your life, JUST to stop me!? Are you stupid, or do you actually want to die?!"

"I'm definitely stupid, for sure." I opened my right eye. "As to why I got in the way.. Well.. Simple, what good would it be if I lost a friend?"

"Don't be ridiculous! That's no excuse to kill yourself on a gamble!"

"Gamble or not.. My resolve ain't changing.." I gripped her hair, looking her directly in her eye. "You may be a Queen now, but we're still friends, and to me, we're friends of the deepest meaning. Even if I have to die, I will keep everyone safe, and tame the darkness you may have."

"The Hell is that supposed to mean?..."

"Stupid.." I said, as the flames died down. I couldn't muster the strength for anymore words. I was losing too much blood, and if I stayed as I was, I would surely die. Giving her a small smirk, noting how her wolf features were vanishing, I let my body give out, and welcomed the dark void of unconsciousness.

It was like I got hit by a truck. When I awoke in the infirmary, my body ached and part of me actually wished I had died. Anything to be rid of pain like this. "You up?" I looked at Beowulf who sat at my side. "Barely.." I said weakly. "What happened after I passed out?"

"Julienn won by technicality. Whether or not she would have beaten The Queen at that point, no one can say, but because she lost control, and everyone interfered.."

"Yeah yeah.. I get it."

Beowulf watched me, sighing. "You're an idiot."

"I know."

".. Although, what you did was pretty courageous.. But that last portion of what you said puzzles me. You said 'friends of the deepest meaning'.. What exactly did you mean by that?"

I lied there, closing my eye. My body was bandaged all over. From the closing hole in my stomach, to the minor scratches and tears in my flesh. "You really wanna know?"

"Yes. I do."

Sighing, I turned and looked at him. "You care for your pack, don't you?"

"Of course."

"It's the same thing really.. My friends are my friends.. Hell, I even call them my family... Friends of the deepest meaning.. Guess that's my way of expressing how strong that bond is..."

"You sound like a generic character in a novel." He commented.

"Maybe.. Won't change how I feel though... Family isn't always sharing the same blood. It's the connections you make.. Only.. I guess the only one dumb enough to completely go through with it is me.."

"You're actually willing to give your life.. Put yourself through all of this.. Just for a friend?"

"Is that bad?"

"Yes! You could've died and then what would we do?! Do you realize how important you are to the guild?! No, not just the guild, EVERYONE!"

I watched him, then smiled. "You just would be lonely without me, wouldn't you?"

"Listen.. We all would.. Pull something like this again, and I'll personally kill you myself." He warned, but then smiled gently. "Your words really hit home on the others though. I would talk to them when you get the chance." I shrugged under the sheets. "Maybe some other time. We have more important things to worry about." I sat up, looking at the door. "The Hell do you want?"

The door slid open, and Jarimu stepped inside. He was smirking smugly, and walked around the room, watching me. "That was an interesting event. Bet you think you're all that huh?"

"Not at all. Well actually... I do think I could whoop your ass, even as I am now." I said.

"That cockiness will be your downfall," He said bitterly.

"Trust me, it's not cockiness."

"Say that when you get out of this damn place.. Heh.. As to the real reason why I'm here.. You've got bad luck, pal."

"Oh really? How so?"

"I don't know if you heard or not.. Or that baffoon already told you but.. You're fighting both me, AND Dai tomorrow," He said smiling, then crossed his arms. "I came to wish you luck... Because you're going to need it." He took his leave, and I sat there thinking.

"How did it come to a 2 v 1? I thought that was against the rules?"

"Richard never said anything of the sort it seems. We just assumed it was a natural thing... So, you'll do great tomorrow then? In your condition?"

"I'll be perfectly healed by then, Mom. Don't worry so much." The two of us watched each other, then began grinning widely as he helped me stand, and we made our way back to the hotel. In the back of my mind, I silently wished the worst luck on Richard tomorrow. Setting me up without my knowledge, he's lucky he's a king or else I'd pit him against a bloodthirsty Zhaniah.