Chapter 43: Unwanted Tension

In my fury, I came to the town river and sat by it, listening to the calm water. That didn't help. In fact, it only twisted at me more. I laid back, looking at the sky, barely noticing the steam rising from around me. I didn't move for a few hours. Just watched the sun go over the mountains, set, and then welcomed the night.

"I don't care.. She can do what she wants." I rolled on my side, grumbling to myself. Thinking about it, I was a pretty sorry excuse of a person right now. I was mad at her, yet wasn't at the same time. "Why do I feel so.. Threatened though.." I groaned loudly, moving on my back, and blinking. "Why'd it get so dark?"

"Mama, what's wrong with you?"

I sat up sharply, then turned and looked at Cynthia. Her hair was cut shorter, and she was wearing a blue skirt and black shirt, but otherwise looked the same. "I came out here lookin for you. I heard about your temper tantrum too."

"It wasn't a temper tantrum." I growled, looking away. Cynthia sat next to me, hugging her legs. "So you know about it then."

"Yup."

"How do you feel?"

"Angry... yet sad at the same time.."

"Really? You sound heart broken."

"It's not that," I denied sharply.

"It isn't? Really? You don't sound so sure of that yourself."

I moved my legs criss cross, holding my shin and looking away. "I.. am sure.."

She gripped my arm then, "You can come back to the guild then."

"I'm not going back tonight. I'll sleep outside."
"Don't be stupid." She gripped my ponytail, dragging me along. "You'll get sick staying out here." I winced in pain from her tug, but partly felt grateful she was bringing me back. However, I wasn't exactly looking forward to encountering the Queen's "mate" right now.

Like I feared, Zhaniah and her mate were waiting outside the courtyard. "I brought him." Cynthia said. Standing, I stuffed my hands in my pockets and looked away. "He still looks pretty mad," Zhaniah commented. Her mate had his arms crossed, and didn't say much. Glad he didn't because I was 100% sure his voice sounded better than mine too, and I was on a very thin line of patience right now. "He is. I think he's jealous," Cynthia said. I grit my teeth, glancing at her.

"He's such a child," Her mate said. I had to pull myself back a lot before I jumped and started a fight. "Be nice, Jarrod. It's probably a lot to take in."

He smirked, leaning to whisper in her ear. My eye twitched, and I remembered then my heightened sense of hearing. "You tell me that a lot.."
She blushed.

"That's it, I'm out of here." Cynthia grabbed my ponytail and kept me in place. "Running from this won't help you cope. Besides, I won't let you anyway."

"I can sure as hell try." I spat back, just kept my back turned to them. "This is getting us nowhere... Just leave me alone."

"Justin, come on you have to..." Zhaniah stopped speaking, then sighed. "Fine, be that way. Let's go."

"Wait, you're giving up," Cynthia asked shocked.

"He's not gonna listen, why bother? I can talk to him when he's calmed down."

I shook my head, turning and walking past the three, into the guild and back at the bar. Luckily, Garlos was sitting there, and he looked at me in my miserable and confused state. "Not feeling any better?"

"He has to be flawed somewhere," I said bitterly. That answered his question. "Understood.." He sipped from his cup, and placed it down. "Honestly, I don't trust the guy.. He won everyone else over.. Not me. Something is off about him, but I can't place what it is."
"Well until he leaves, I'm not staying here. I don't need to hear first hand about their nightly fun. I'm sick enough as is."

He watched me. "You feel robbed, don't you?"

"What do you mean," I asked.

"It's just something I wondered. You've know the Queen longer than anyone in here. It wouldn't surprise me if you felt your friendship would start diminishing now."

"Yeah.. Part of me feels that way.."
He smiled. "And the other part feels like it should you by her side and not him."

I blushed faintly at that thought, reached over, and slung an arm around his shoulders. "... Say that again, and I'll kill a hundred times over.."
"Glad we're such good friends." We met each other's eyes, and started laughing. Being around Garlos actually put some kind of calm in me for the time being. The guild dimmed some, and everyone looked towards the stage. Julienn was there, sitting on a bar stool, and singing gently. I drifted in and out during her performance, until Zhaniah stepped on. I felt a small flicker of excitement grow in my stomach, but it died down when Jarrod went on next to her, and the three began singing together. I stood again, "You got some ear plugs?"

"Why? You have to admit they sound great."

I glared at him, and he nodded frightfully, handing me a pair. I stuck them in, sat at the bar, put my head down, and went to sleep. I had enough of this for one day.