Chapter 4: Change

The next morning, Niyo adjusts her bangs so it covers a bit of her face, especially her eyes. She did not sleep well last night so there are dark eye bags below her eyes. She managed to keep them hidden to Arima, but she knows he will find out sooner or later. The whole morning she was thinking of an excuse.

"Miura-hime~"

This time Niyo stops and turns around, "Furuta," she grabs his arm and drags him somewhere else, "I need to speak with you."

Furuta opens his mouth to speak, but Niyo cuts in, knowing what he is about to say.

"And no, I don't like you," Niyo slams Furuta against the wall, "I saw you in the alley last night."

Furuta smirks, "Oh? You saw me where now?"

"Eto was right, you are a Clown."

"Miura-hime," Furuta brushes his finger against Niyo's cheek, "I don't know what you're talking about."

Niyo pushes his hand away, "Don't play dumb. Why were you following me and my father?"

"I wasn't," Furuta's face saddens, "It really pains me for you to suspect me like that."

Niyo sighs and loosens her grasp on his arm. If he isn't going to tell the truth, then...

Catching Niyo off guard again, Furuta's expression suddenly turns villainous. Before Niyo could react, he brings her closer to him, "Miura-hime!!" he yells hungrily, embracing her tightly, "Ah, finally..." he licks his lips and gently breathes into her ear.

Niyo instantly feels herself relaxing from the warmth. No one has ever done this to her before, "Enough, Furuta."

"Mmm, I can hear the ease in your voice."

"Let go."

"And then what? Face the ire of the Shinigami?" Furuta moves closer to her ear and whispers, "No, not yet."

Niyo tries to break free from his grasp, "If I don't tell him, will you release me?"

"You really don't like this?"

"I don't."

Furuta snickers, "I guess you're still too young," he releases her, "I'll wait till you grow a little older," he smiles and winks.

"You're very dangerous, Furuta," Niyo smoothens her outfit, "Father tells me to endure things with you, but I don't think he ever sees your true self," she feels herself slightly smiling, "This is why I always tell him to keep his spectacles clean."

Arima pushes his glasses into place, "They're clean, Niyo."

Niyo gasps and turns to her side to see Arima standing beside her, "F-Father?" this is one of the first times Niyo has stuttered.

Arima turns his gaze to Furuta, "What were you doing?" he asks in a lower tone.

Furuta looks from Niyo to Arima, "I assure you I did nothing, Kishou."

"Nothing?"

Furuta keeps up a normal face, but Niyo can tell he is lost of words. Neither of them expected Arima to suddenly show up and catch them doing weird things. Now that Arima has finally caught Furuta, there is no need to endure anymore, "No, he didn't do anything," Niyo cuts in, "It was my fault," what is she doing? Isn't she supposed to end her suffering? "I brought him here," Niyo looks away when she is wondering to herself what she is doing. Even Furuta looks at her with surprise.

"Niyo..." he mutters silently.

Arima looks at both of them suspiciously before nodding, "Very well. Niyo, the meeting is about to begin. Everyone is there already."

"Yes, I'm sorry," Niyo follows Arima out of the corner. Again, Niyo does something weird. She stops and faces Furuta.

He smiles warmly, "Bye," he mouths the words.

Niyo just waves and catches up with Arima. She frowns when she has no idea what just happened. Why did she protect Furuta when she could've ended her endurance right there? Why did she save him, knowing that he would do more weird things to her? Why? The word 'why' lingers in Niyo's mind as she follows Arima.

"I may be facing another direction, but I can still see you clearly," Arima says, still walking.

"When you rescue someone you hate from danger, does it mean you actually don't hate them, but you just don't realize it yet?"

"That is usually the case, but sometimes it could just happen accidentally."

"Hmm," Okay, Niyo thinks, it was just an accident. I don't actually like him. But something in her heart tells her it was not an accident.

"Does it have something to do with Nimura?"

"No," Niyo tries saying as composed as possible.

Arima walks to her and pushes her bangs away from her face. He roughly runs his thumb on Niyo's dark eye bags, "Did you sleep well last night?"

"No."

"How come?"

"Too much thinking," Niyo was too busy thinking about the Clown in the alley last night that she barely got any sleep. Furuta denied it was he that stood there, but Niyo is certain whom she saw.

"After the conference we will have a serious talk about this."

Niyo does not answer, nor show any gesture of accepting. Either way she does not have a choice.

Arima adjusts Niyo's bangs to the way they were before and continues making his way to the conference room.

For the meantime, Niyo needs to think of an excuse, and a good one.