Chapter 9: Teary Confession

"I heard that Fueguchi has escaped," Niyo says while being in a private room with Furuta and Arima, "I suppose Kaneki had something to do with it?"

"He did," Furuta answers first, "I caught up with him and slowed him down before Kishou came by."

"And what of Kaneki?" Niyo eyes Arima.

"He escaped as well," he says without hesitation.

Niyo continues to stare at Arima, hoping for him to give her more information other than 'he escaped as well'.

"Is something the matter?" he finally asks after a few seconds.

"You let him go, didn't you?"

Silence.

"Father, Kaneki...I mean Sasaki was like an elder sibling to me. And I know he thought of you as a foster parent before he regained his memories. I'm sure you were moved by it?"

Silence. Even Furuta stays quiet.

"In order to save Fueguchi, Kaneki needed to risk his life. He wanted to get killed by you."

Arima crosses his fingers together, "He escaped, that is all."

"I find that hard to believe."

Furuta looks at Arima with a worried expression, "She's too smart to hide from. Just tell her, Kishou."

After a few moments of silence, Arima closes his eyes in defeat, "I let him go."

Niyo smiles, "I would've done the same. Even though he has regained his memories, he still cares for some people here. The quinckes, me."

"I know."

"I'm just glad everyone came back safe."

Furuta grins, "You just stood there doing nothing, didn't you?" he reaches his hand out to play with Niyo's hair.

Arima, who still doesn't know the true relationship between them, grabs his arm, "Don't touch her."

"Ah sorry, I forgot," Furuta retracts his hand back to his side.

"Niyo."

Niyo looks at Arima, "Yes?"

"There is another matter I must discuss with you. This one is important."

"What is it?"

"Tell me, what were you doing in the Owl's cell the whole time?"

"...What? How did you know?"

"The cameras caught you in there. What were you doing?"

Furuta looks at Niyo nervously.

"An Aogiri Tree member showed up and..."

"No, Niyo. I've managed to severe most of the scenes, but the warden saw a bit of it and reported it to the Director."

Niyo gasps, "No..."

"Yes, you are currently suspected of being the One-Eyed Princess."

"What?!" Furuta springs from his chair, "Why didn't you tell me about this, Kishou?!"

Arima leans closer to Niyo, "What you were doing was not interrogating."

Niyo looks away.

"Niyo, look at me."

Niyo refuses to look at her own father. She is afraid of what will happen to her if she reveals she has been a friend to Eto for a long time.

Arima sighs through his nose, "Nimura, may we have the room please?"