Chapter 18: Slip-up

It has been a few days of Niyo staying at home, putting her head down on the pillow. She has thought of many things, the CCG, Arima, and most of all Furuta. She's gotten frequent visits from him, but knows it is all just a huge pretense. After what she has heard him say a few days ago, she tries not to get so close to him. It's just a matter of time before Furuta figures out that Niyo knows the truth.

Niyo turns to her back and stares at the ceiling of her room. Perhaps she should confront Furuta and ask what's his problem. Who is he working under? And why is he pretending?

Furuta has betrayed her. No, love has betrayed her. Did she do something wrong? Was she getting punished for being the daughter of the One-Eyed King? No what the hell, of course not. She did not have the choice. Was she getting punished for befriending Eto?

Niyo shakes her head frantically and sits up from bed. She steps off. She decides today is the day she will face Furuta. She is not supposed to be seen, especially not by the CCG. Niyo picks out a black coat and puts the hood over her head. She looks at herself in the mirror to make sure she is covered. Her face is barely shown because the hood shadows most of it. She just hopes no one will think she is some kind of gangster or something.

Niyo steps out of the house and speedily makes her way to Furuta's home. Arima is still at work and he won't be returning home so soon. Furuta told Niyo he has a day off today, however he didn't say anything about visiting her, mainly because Niyo changed the subject right away. Big mistake. Although, what he said could've been a lie. The only way to find out is by checking herself.

Niyo brings down her hood and puts her hand on the door. She touches the wooden material with her fingertips. What's wrong with her? Is she having second thoughts about knocking? She has come all the way here and now she is hesitating? Niyo takes a deep breath before forming her hand into a fist. Before she knocks, she hears faint talking behind the door. She quickly retracts her hand from the door and presses her ear against the wood. She listens and recognizes the voice to be Furuta's. He is on the phone once again, speaking to 'whoever it is he spoke to that other day'.

"Look, I've had enough with that bitch. She hates me and I hate her, and that's that," Furuta says almost angrily.

Niyo is surprised to hear his voice become like that. However she is more surprised to hear that Furuta thinks she hates him. She does not hate him and he should've known that. Something's strange...

"No," Furuta replies to the phone. "I don't want to see her again, make Kishou see her." He paces around the area. "Why me anyway? It's not like I'm into her, I'm only into Niyo, sheesh."

"Wha...?" Niyo gasps and covers her mouth. What did Furuta just say? Did she hear him correctly?

"Just by seeing that frickin Owl makes me want to puke!"

OH!

Furuta is not scorning about Niyo! He is referring to Eto! Whoops!

"Come on, stop talking already. I want to go see Niyo," Furuta says impatiently. "It's supposed to be a surprised visit~"

Niyo smiles widely. She feels as though her entire body has been cleansed from the negative thoughts she's been having for many days. She silently continues to listen.

Furuta sprawls his arms around a table and grins. "She's sweet, lovable, cute, strong, and has a delicious scent!" Furuta laughs. "Ahaha, not like I'm gonna eat her or anything. She doesn't even know I'm a half ghoul."

Niyo's smile fades. She mouths the words, "...Half...ghoul...?" Her heart pounds with both shock and delight. She does not know what to think. Furuta is a half-ghoul? It is no wonder he bit her neck that time he helped her put on those nasty bandages.

"Yes," Furuta continues to speak. "Yes, okay Kaiko-san, I know, I know, I know. Kishou will kill me if I ate her, but that's not the point!" Furuta goes silent when the person on the phone speaks again. He speaks again after a few seconds. "The point is, I want you to stop talking so I can go see Niyo! Oh!" Furuta walks to the door when he recognizes a familiar scent. "Yeah, that's right, lemme bring her in right now!" He springs open the door and smirks at Niyo's surprised face. She yelps as Furuta drags her inside. "Bye, see you later!" Furuta hangs up and tosses the phone onto the couch. Still holding Niyo, he brings her close. "You came to find me, Miura-hime~ were you impatient?"

The feeling of love once again fills Niyo's heart. However she regrets doubting Furuta for betraying her. She knows him better than that. "I love you, Furuta." She throws her arms around his neck and presses her lips against his.

This is what Furuta was waiting for. Niyo has finally grown up.