Chapter 10: Pretend

Niyo walks in the hallway of the CCG building, reciting the plan hundreds of times before getting caught. She just pretends as if nothing has happened and casually walks through the building. She could almost laugh when she is trying to get herself caught; yet nobody finds her, how ironic. She wonders how she will be treated.

At that moment Matsuri turns to the same hallway with a few other investigators following behind him. When he spots her, he immediately gives the order, "Restrain her."

The investigators rush to Niyo and restrain her, "What?" Niyo pretends to look scared and confused when her hands are held together behind her back. She looks at Matsuri, "What is the meaning of this?"

Matsuri turns away and begins walking to the Director's office. The investigators behind Niyo push her forward, making her walk there as well, "What's going on? Why am I...?" she notices she is acting out of character, so she silences herself until they reach the office. When Niyo is being dragged inside, she sees Arima there too.

Yoshitoki looks up from his work.

"Why was I brought here in this manner?" Niyo asks.

"First Class Miura, you were caught speaking with the One-Eyed Owl without permission," Yoshitoki says with a serious tone.

"But I had permission," Niyo looks to Arima, who nods.

"She received permission from me to interrogate the One-Eyed Owl," he confirms.

"During the Operation itself?" Matsuri cuts in, "We could only suspect that you are plotting with the Owl."

"I'm not!" Niyo argues back, knowing she is not supposed to.

"That's enough, Special Class," Yoshitoki silences Matsuri before he could say more. He stands up from his chair and walks to her, "What were you doing in the cell?"

"I was only interrogating her for a bit since I didn't finish last time. That was all."

"But why during the attack?"

"Director Washuu," Arima interrupts, "She is not an adult yet, she does not understand."

"That is what makes her an easy target, especially to the Owl."

"This is an outrage. I don't believe Niyo is responsible for-"

"I will not take my chances, Special Class Arima," Yoshitoki says firmly, "She was supposed to be guarding the prison cell, but instead she went inside."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do that. It will never happen again," Niyo says quickly, which earns looks from everyone in the room.

Silence takes over the room for a while. Niyo looks at Matsuri, who is looking impatiently at Yoshitoki. No one in the room seems to be convinced that Niyo is innocent, except for Arima, but he is pretending to look dubious.

"Miura Niyo," Yoshitoki begins, "You are under arrest in suspicion of being the One-Eyed Princess."

Niyo gasps and tries pulling herself out of the investigators' grasp, "No, no please wait! I'm a human!"

Yoshitoki turns around and walks back to the desk, ignoring every word.

Niyo looks at Arima, "Arima-san, please! I'm not a ghoul! I'm not the One-Eyed Princess!"

Arima remains silent, as planned.

"Your execution will be in three days," Matsuri declares.

"No! You can't just jump to conclusions like that!" Niyo winces when the investigators behind her roughly hold her arms in a certain way that restricts her movements. She looks back to Arima, "Arima-san, I'm begging you, I'm not-"