CHAPTER 9

"What do you mean 'diary holder'?", you ask, trying to play it cool.

"The survival game. The diaries telling the future. I know all about it.".

"B-But how?", you stutter, eyes widening in shock.

"Keigo Kurusu. He's a police officer and he's also a diary holder, 4th, he told me about the survival game and he's giving me access to all his files and information, so I can 'observe' the game.".

"Are you also looking through his files for some evidence that I'm Michi?".

"I...", Akise stares at you solemnly, "I believe that my top priority right now is observing the survival game-".

"So... In other words, you gave up trying to prove that I'm Michi?".

Akise shakes his head and gives you a small smile, "No. No. I never give up on a case. I'll prove that you're Michi, after you win this survival game?".

You look up at him and raise an eyebrow, "Me? Win?".

Akise nods, "Of course. If you die, how am I meant to bring you to justice?".

"You realise... That me winning... Involves me killing people.".

"Yeah, but... Doing that is essential to survival. So technically, it's not murder, it's an act of self-defence. Also, ", he grins, "Seeing how you kill may help me with this 'Michi' case.".

"So... That other girl, you don't believe she's Michi?".

"I guess there is a possibility that she is Michi, but... I think otherwise.".

"Well,", you look up at the gym roof, "I think she's Michi. But I guess she could just be an imposter.".

"Come on-", Akise stands up and offers a hand to you, "According to Keigo's information, this terrorist is 9th, and she's an escape artist that Keigo's wanted to capture for a while now. I have a plan, 13th".

"Oh. You know what number I am.".

"Why, of course.".

You stand up as well and take his hand, "Look- I don't trust you 100%. But for now, I'm going to follow whatever plan you have.".

Akise smiles and nods, "I guess that is your best option. Hm... Could I perhaps have a look at your future diary?".

"Woah, easy there.", you snicker, "You should know that if my diary gets destroyed, I'll die. And no offence, but I'm not going to let you touch my diary until I fully trust you.".

"Fair enough. But you may as well look at it, to see what's going to happen.".

You nod and Akise lets go of your hand. You take a few steps away from him, better be safe then sorry- or in this situation- better be safe then dead.

You open your future diary and look at the pictures that had been drawn in.

2:15- A picture of you and Akise, and Akise was...

You cover your mouth in shock, Akise was handing you over to Minene in this picture.

"T-traitor...", you whisper

Akise notices your distressed reaction and tries to look at your future diary, but you quickly close it and pack it away, he was on Minene's side... Why were you ever stupid enough to think he would actually help you?

"(Y/n)...? Is everything alright?".

"Everything's. Fine.", you say with a salty tone before glaring at him and attempting to walk out of the room that you were confined in. You reach to the doorknob-