Bet 15

"I'll see you around, Ben!" you waved your biology lab partner goodbye as you separated ways. You giddily started heading towards your first class, knowing that Niall would be there patiently waiting for you. When you arrived at the spacious classroom minutes later, to your delight, he was already there. But he wasn't waiting for you. He sat in the front row, carefully studying his notes. Well that's weird. We don't even have a test today. You slowly approached him, "Hi Niall!" He didn't respond. He continued staring at his scribbled-on notebook, avoiding eye contact with you at all costs. You furrowed your eyebrows as you kept walking towards his desk, "Niall-" "(Y/N), please, take a seat." You glanced to your right to see your teacher sitting down at her desk, nodding for you to find a seat. You nodded in reply before searching the classroom for a seat. All the seats around the Niall were taken, so your only solution was to go to the back of the classroom. You took one last look at him, seeing only the back of his head as his attention was still focused on his ripped-up notebook. You sighed before making your way to the back of the classroom, far away from Niall. The rest of the period dragged on for what seemed like hours. You sat in the back of the room, impatiently tapping your number two pencil against the desk. You eyed the clock, seeing the hands move ever so slowly. "Alright class, for homework, I'd like you to start on your next project," your teacher's voice boomed through the classroom, interrupting you from your thoughts. "This will in fact be a project that involves a partner. Unfortunately, I will not be assigning your partners this time," your teacher joked. "So, it's up to you to make wise decisions and pick someone that you work productively with. That's all we have time for today, class. You may start packing up." I quickly stuffed my heavy books into my bag, Niall being the only thought on my mind. If he and I were partners, we would end up spending so much time together. I quickly ran to the front of the classroom just as Niall was standing up from his seat. "Hey, Niall-" He lifted his head up as his eyes immediately shrunk to slits, giving the evilest glare he could muster. "I-" you stuttered, confused by Niall's expression. "I was wondering if you wanted to be my partner for the-" "Niall!" You glanced behind Niall's shoulder, as he spun around, to see a blonde girl making her way over to the two of you. You scoffed, "Excuse me, but I was in the middle of-" "Niall, I was wondering if you wanted to be my partner for the project!" she smirked, gently rubbing Niall's shoulder. He grinned back, "I'd love to, babe." Babe?! What the hell was he thinking? I was clearly about to ask him the same question, but he didn't even bother letting me finish! "Um, Niall-" you said, trying to stop him from staring dreamily at the girl. "Sorry, (Y/N). I already have a partner." Before you were able to object, he left the classroom with the girl, holding her hand tightly in his.