o n e

"Wait so your real name is Cherokee?" The boy my age asks. He might be my age but he sure is stuck in kiddyland. "That's a weird name."

"Your right it is," I give him a smirk and he knows what I'm about to do. "Coral!"
We race around the camp that has stationed itself around the quarry. Going to Sophia, the other girl our age I tag her shoulder. "Tag!"

It's moments like these where I'm reminded that I'm not just 'redneck trash' along with my uncle and father. That's just a label people use against us. But these moments are the ones that I realize I'm still a kid. While I did have friends before the world went to hell, most of them where in and out of Juvie, much like my Uncle Merle when he was younger.

The knife I sport around my waist falls off after I bump into the side of a table. I reach down to pick it up only to be tagged by Carl who is now racing to his mom. Shaking my head I run up the hill and I see Carl being scolded by Lori. Geez let the kid have some fun. Deciding I should probably not interfere I walk by the edge of the woods. The Asian man Glenn drives into our little camp sporting a red car with the alarms blaring. Obviously causing a commotion.

I roll my eyes and a white truck that looks like it was used for delivering things pulls in. People jump out of the back one of them being Carl's dad who was thought to be dead. I smile at their happy reunion, wondering where my father is at this moment, probably tracking our dinner.

"Merle?" I yell wondering where my uncle is, realizing he hasn't gotten out of the truck. "Merle! Get your old ass out 'ere"

"Woah, slow your roll kid." Shane, the former police officer says grabbing my arm.

"Get your hands off of me." I grit through my teeth. So much for being a happy normal kid. "So is he dead? Or are you just gonna leave me hanging here."

"He's not dead, but he's handcuffed to a roof." Andrea tells me. She never liked Merle.

"So, you mean to tell me, my uncle is handcuffed to a roof, with nothing to defend himself." I state looking around the camp. "Ha! Okay, have fun explaining that to my father, who is making sure we don't starve as we speak!"

I stomp down to my tent, not even bothering to go to the campfire once the sun sets. I'm angry, but I don't know what to say.

Crawling into my sleeping bag I stare angrily at the wall of the tent, slowly realizing I'll be sleeping alone tonight.

~~~

The next morning I wake up to a scream. Jerking up, I run out of my tent and see everyone running towards the woods, so me being me, I follow. I know the woods better than anyone present at the moment, so it's probably best I go anyways.

A walker is happily feasting on a deer, one that is plastered with my dad's bolts. When they kill the walker I grab one of the bolts cleaning it off. The group hears rustling in the bushes and immediately all weapons are trained on the surrounding woods.

"It's just my dad you dumbasses. Look at the arrows." I mutter taking the bolt and stomping out the woods. " better think long and hard 'bout Merle!"

A few minutes later I hear my dad yelling.

"Merle! Get your ass out 'ere!" He yells. I see everyone look to each other nervously. Well if they aren't gonna tell him about Merle, I'll just help them out. "Merle!"