s i x

It's a sunny day when I wake up.

It's unsettling, especially knowing that today a grave for Otis will be made. I'm helping collect rocks and making light chat with Beth when I hear a motorcycle approaching the farm. Then I actually see the motor cycle followed by a car and the RV. I start to smile knowing it's my dad and the others but it quickly falls when I remember the rock in my hand and why it's there. 

My dad gets off of his motorcycle and I give him a hug, relived that he's safe. You never know when you could lose someone in this world. Sometimes you might never even know you lost them. He lightly lifts the bandage Hershel suggested I wear to keep my stitches from getting infected with all the work we'd be doing outside. 

"We'll talk about this later." He mumbles giving me a small squeeze on the shoulder.

"Okay," I mumble.

"How is he?" Dale asks Rick and Lori.

"He'll pull through," Lori says with a small nod and teary eyes. "Thanks to Hershel and his people."

"And Shane." Rick says. "We would've lost Carl if not for him." 

"And Otis" I mumble quietly knowing full well something happened between Otis and Shane. 

Dale gives Rick a hug and Carol gives Lori one whispering a "Thank God" in the process. Rick explains what happened to Dale and afterwards we have our small funeral for Otis, each of us placing a Rock on the large pile.

"Blessed be God, Father of our lord Jesus Christ." Hershel prays for Otis while the group remains solemnly quite. "Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis, for his span of years, for his abundance of character. Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever our most precious asset. We thank you, god, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace."

I lean against my dad, I didn't know Otis. I saw him but I'm pretty sure we never even spoke more than a 'hello' when I first got here. I feel bad, but I'm thankful Carl's safe for now. 

"He died as he lived," Hershel speaks while I notice Shane fidgeting a little like he wanted to leave. Chill out man, I know you saw him die but give the family some respect and stay put. "In grace. Shane, will you speak for Otis?" 

Shane looks around nervously before responding with, "I'm not good at it. I'm sorry."

Something is going on with him and what happened to Otis, the new hair cut, the fidgeting. He's changed since the CDC.

"You were the last one with him." Patricia tells him. "You share his final moments. Please? I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning." 

I can see Lori glaring at Shane, non-verbally telling him to tell her about Otis as Patricia has tears beginning to role down her face once again. He looks around blankly before starting to tell everyone.

"We were about done. Almost out of ammo we were down to pistols by then." He says biting his lip. "I was limping it was bad, ankle all swollen up."

He pauses, and thinks. Almost as if he's making up a story.

"'We gotta save the boy.' See that's what he said. "He gave me his backpack, he shoved me ahead. 'Run' He said 'I'll take the Rear I'll cover you' and when I looked back.." He doesn't  continue but instead walks up to the wheelbarrow and takes out a rock. "If not for Otis, I'd have never made it out alive, and that goes for Carl too. It was Otis, he saved us both. If any death had meaning, it was his."

Patricia nods holding back tears as Shane places the rock on the pile and walks away.  Dad places his hand on my shoulder  leading me away from the rest of the group  and towards the RV.