t w e n t y f i v e

My tears couldn't be stopped. There were too many of them to wipe away. They dropped onto the note leaving stains as they did. My father was gone and he wasn't planning on coming back. 

Taking the contents off of my lap and placing them onto the floor, I grabbed an old shirt of my fathers and clutched it to my heart as I laid down sobbing into it. I'm sure my cries could be heard throughout the prison but I didn't care. 

Eventually I wore myself out, my crying seemed to exhaust me and I fell asleep still clutching my dad's shirt with tear stained cheeks.

---

"There ain't nothing out here but mosquito's and ants." Daryl told his brother as Merle took a piss on a tree.

"Patience little brother," Merle said in that speakeasy tone of his. The one that could get him anything he wanted. The one he used to manipulate everyone with. "Sooner or later, a squirrel is bound to scurry across your path."

"Even so, that ain't much food." Daryl replied. He was losing patience, and he was losing it fast. Merle had a way of doing things, most of the time it was his way or no way. 

"More than nothing." Merle told his younger brother.

"I'd have better luck going through one of them houses we passed back on the turnoff." Daryl said looking around. 

"Is that what your new friends taught you?" Merle asked sarcastically. "How to loot for booty?"

"We've been at it for hours man." Daryl was starting to regret his decision, but he couldn't leave family alone. Isn't that what you did to Cherokee? A small voice asked in the back of his mind. "Why don't we find a stream, try to look for some fish?" 

"I think you're just trying to lead me back to the road man." Merle said. "Get me over to the prison." 

"They got shelter." Daryl muttered looking at the ground. Not to mention my daughter. He wanted to add. "Food. A pot to piss in. Might not be a bad idea."

"For you, maybe. Got ya kid there, friends, they'll welcome you with open arms." Merle said from his crouched position on the ground. "Ain't gonna be no damn party for me."

"Everyone will get used to each other." Daryl muttered. "Cherokee will be happy to see ya." 

"They're all dead, Makes no difference." Merle said causing Daryl to lower his crossbow.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Right about now, he's probably hosting a housewarming party, where he's gonna bury whats left of your pals." Merle said. The sinking pit of regret in Daryls stomach was getting larger. "Let's hook some fish."

---

"Daddy!" Six year old Cherokee exclaimed running out of the school doors to greet her father.

Kneeling, Daryl Dixon scooped his daughter up in a large hug and held her close. She was the only person who actually got a drop of emotion out of him.   

"Hey sweetheart." Daryl muttered as the young girl squirmed in his arms. Setting Cherokee down he opened the passenger door to his truck. "How was school?" 

"It was fun!"  She squealed climbing into the car. "Mrs. Anderson said I got the highest score on our spelling test!" 

"Now how'd you manage to do that?"  Daryl asked buckling her seatbelt. 

"It's cause you helped me study daddy!" She said as if it was almost obvious. Taking his wallet out  of his pocket, he examined the money inside. He had a little extra from picking up an extra shift that Merle didn't know about.