t h r e e

We all stare at the blinding white light emitting from the CDC. Rick leads the group in and my dad gives me a nudge pushing me inside.

"Hello?" Rick says when every one is inside. "Hello?"

"Close those doors," Dale says. "Watch for walkers."

"Anybody infected?" A man asks. He holds a shotgun in his hands and he looks like he's been through some deep shit.

"One of our group was," Rick answers honestly. "He didn't make it."

"Why are you here?" The man asks stepping forward. "What do you want?"

"A chance." Rick says looking at the man. Nice answer, if you where looking to be in the cheesiest answers ever book.

"That's asking an awful lot these days." The man says lowering his voice.

"I know." Rick says giving him a small nod. The man stares at us, taking our group in.

"You all submit a blood test, that's the price of admission." He says lowering his gun.

"We can do that." Rick tells him and lowers his gun. I sigh, I've always hated getting blood tests.

"You guys got stuff do bring in, do it now." The man says pointing his finger at our vehicles. "Once these doors close, they stay closed."

My dad, and some others rush out and grab our things, mostly the necessities. He hands me my back pack and I secure it on my back, along with my crossbow. Rick introduces himself to the man.

"Dr. Edwin Jenner." The man replies hesitantly.

~~~

We're all crammed in an elevator. I'm pushed into the wall in the back and my crossbow and backpack are viscously protruding my back.

"Doctors always go around packin heat like that?" My dad asks, referring to Dr. Jenner's gun.

"There were plenty lyin, around I familiarized myself." He smiles softly. "Besides you all look harmless enough, except you." He looks at Carl. "I'll have to keep my eyes on you."

Carl smiles lightly. I meanwhile, pray that this awkward elevator ride is almost over, I can barely keep my eyes open. The elevator is soon engulfed in awkward silence, and I hold back a yawn. When the ride is over, Jenner leads us down a hallway.

"Are we underground?" Carol asks.

"Are you claustrophobic?" Jenner asks her.

"A little." She replies softly.

"Try not to think about it." He says. "Vi, bring up the lights in the big room." The lights come on, and we stand in a room full of computers and one giant main screen. "Welcome to zone 5."

"Where is everybody? The other doctors?" Rick asks him. "The staff."

"I'm it." Jenner replies looking at him. I take in the giant room. I haven't used a computer since it was library day at school. Even then, it wasn't long. Whoever worked here must have used them all day.

"What about the other person you where talking to?" Lori asks. "Vi."

"Vi! Say hello to our guests," Jenner calls out. "Tell them welcome."