f o u r t y n i n e

Later on, Rick comes into the office. Telling us the plan. He'll be leaving with the muscle of the group, and keeping the 'weak' ones behind and heading towards the school. Also known as, the kids, Bob, Gabriel, Eugene,  and Elisa.  Of course, we have Tyreese and Rosita for some protection but majority of us are the people Rick doesn't want in a battle. 

He knows Carl and I can hold our own, but he also knows he'd never forgive himself if we got hurt. I think that's why I'm okay with sitting this one out, in order to save his own morals.

I keep my crossbow never more than an arms length away as we sit in silence. Carl keeps one hand on his gun at all times with his focus on his baby sister who coos quietly to herself in the little basket. 

Suddenly, we hear the front doors of the church being opened. It's now that Carl and I train our weapons to the door as Gabriel cowers in the corner. Elisa, looks out the window while staying out of sight and I steady my breathing.

"Well, I guess you know we're here." Gareth yells announcing the presence of the Termites. "And we know you're here. And we're armed. So there's really no point in hiding anymore. We've been watching you. We know who's here. There's bob, unless you've put him out of his misery already, and Eugene, Rosita, Martins good friend Tyreese, Carl, Judith."

My heart pounds at the mention of the little girls name. How he said it. No matter what, I wouldn't let her fall into the hands of these monsters. The floorboards creak as Gareth and his group lay their weight on it. With each footstep they get closer and closer to where we hide.

"Rick and the rest walked out." Gareth continues. "With a lot of your guns. Listen we don't know where you all are, but this isn't a big place. Let's just stop this now before things get more painful than they need to be."

The doorknob rattles and once more I take a shaky breath, looking towards Carl for reassurance. The door stops shaking and Gareth speaks up again. 

"Look, you're behind one of these two doors and we have more than enough fire power to take down both. Can't imagine that's what y'all want." He yells. A gun cocks and the floor boards creak. "How bout the priest? Father, you help us wrap this up, and we'll let you walk away from this. Just open the door and you can go. You can even take the baby. What do you say?"

I glare at Gabriel as he whimpers in the corner. If he does anything, I swear I won't hesitate to kill him.

All of a sudden Judith starts to cry. Her sobs echo throughout the silent room and all of us freeze. Quickly, I drop my crossbow and rush to her aid, attempting to quiet her down despite knowing it's too late.

"It's your last chance right now to tell us you're coming out." Gareth yells from the other side of the door of the room we're in. 

Silenced gunshots ring out through the church and bodies fall to the floor. There's a muffled voice but I know it's Ricks. 

"Rick lower your gun or we'll fire ours right into that office door." Gareth says frantically. Another gunshot rings out and Gareth falls to the floor in pain. I can hear his whimpers through the door as I clutch Judith just a little bit closer. 

"Put your guns on the floor and kneel." Rick grits out.

"Do what he says." Gareth tells whoever is with him. "There's no choice here."

I can hear Gareth's choking and mumbled words. He's going on a long spiel and I'm pretty sure he's crying. He doesn't get any sympathy from me though. Not after what they've done.  

All at once, the sound of death rings through the church. There's screams and the squelching of knives as everyone from terminus is murdered.

"It could've been us." Rick justifies his actions. 

Slowly, I exit the office and examine the bodies laying on the floor. There's blood splatters all along the walls and the Termites are practically butchered on the floor. 

"This is the Lords house." I hear Gabriel's weak voice.

"No." Maggie tells him "This is just four walls and a roof." 

Turning around I find Carl setting up a blanket on the floor before he gestures for me to come over. I look towards Elisa and see a hint of disapproval but nonetheless I ignore it and walk towards Carl. Kneeling next to him, I wrap my arms around his torso before pulling away. 

"Let's get some sleep." He says. "Or at least attempt to."

"What about Judy?" I ask.

"Dad has her for the night." He tells me brushing a strand of hair clinging to my forehead with sweat out of the way. "Just try to relax, even if its for one minute." 

"I can do that." I say nodding and soon enough exhaustion takes over as I fall asleep listening to Carl's heartbeat. 

____

Word Count: 851

thanks for reading! Feedback is appreciated and always helps me write faster!!!

Love you all! <3