t w e n t y o n e

I was laid in a cell with Carol. Probably because dad didn't want me out of his sight. Rick and the others slowly approach us after dad went to go get him. Slowly, both of us are engulfed in hugs.

"How?" Hershel asks wrapping an arm around Carol. I move onto the next person which happens to be my dad and I don't let go. Sure, he's the one who found me; but I need his comfort.

"Solitary." Carol chuckles.

"Poor things fought their way into a cell," Dad explains. "Must've passed out. Dehydrated."

I feel dad pick me up and I'm grateful. I know that it's probably not easy for him but it's comforting. It's then that I notice the lack of Lori in the room and a newborn baby. I watch as Carol begins to cry and I hold my hand out for Carl to take. He takes my hand in his and I give him a reassuring squeeze. Soon enough, dad carries me to his bed and sets me down.

For a while we don't speak and we just sit there. His arm is around me and he squeezes me.

"I uh, I found this" He tells me handing me the knife that I used to kill that walker that grabbed me.

"Did you find my flannel?" I ask. My voice is almost gone and my throat feels raw.

"Yeah," He chuckles with a smirk before taking it out of his pocket. With a small smile I put it on and give him another hug. "Are you okay?"

"I thought we were gonna die in there." I murmur.

"I thought you were dead. I saw T-dog, and your things-" He chokes up. "You even had an empty grave. I was a wreck."

"I'm sorry." I whisper.

"Don't be," He says rubbing my back. "you're alive; thats all that matters."

"Can you take me to my cell?" I ask him quietly. "I wanna change out of these clothes." He nods and we make our way across the bridge and he helps me into my cell.

"I'll be out here dealing with the strangers if you need me okay?" He asks and I nod shuffling through my bag. I pull out a semi-clean t-shirt and a fresh pair of jeans. My old ones were stained with the blood of walkers and they smelled awful due to sweat. That room was hot and stuffy, so whatever water was in my body had been sweat out.

After I'm done, I notice my blanket is in the middle of the bed. Definitely not where I left it. I quickly realize that dad must've come in here because everything is kind of shuffled around. Sitting down, I grasp the blanket and think over the past 24 hours.

We lost T-dog, and Lori. A baby was born. I almost died with Carol. T-dogs death would forever be in my mind, you don't just forget about that. Especially since he sacrificed himself for us. Even though he was bit I feel guilty about his death.

A knock on the wall disrupts me from my thoughts. Looking up, I see the boy in the cowboy hat with tired blue eyes. I can't imagine what he must be feeling right now.

"Hey," I mutter patting the space on the bed next to me. Slowly he joins me. We haven't spoken much since coming to the prison. His side is pressed against mine and we sit in silence for what seems like an eternity.

"I'm glad you're alive Cheri." he says resting his head on my shoulder.

"Me too," I say with a small smile. With hesitance, I notice Carl's hand creeping towards mine. I meet him halfway and slowly our hands are intertwined. It's weird, but I like it.

"What was it like?" He asks shifting so that he can sort of look at me. "When we couldn't find you,"

"It was terrible," I say grimly. "I watched T-dog sacrifice himself for Carol and I. The walkers didn't even notice us because they were too busy eating him. Once we were trapped in the cell I felt like his sacrifice would be for nothing."

He's quiet for a while, and he sits there thinking. Subconsciously, he rubs tiny circles on my hand and I lay my head down on his.

"I shot my mom." He whimpers quietly. "She was out, I didn't want her to turn."

"You did the right thing." I whisper giving his hand a squeeze of reassurance before turning my body to hug the boy. I couldn't imagine what Carl had been through in such a small amount of time.

"I know, I just wish she were here." He says pulling out of the hug and looking into my eyes.

"We all do," I say with another squeeze of his hand. "But you have to stay strong, for your sister."

He nods and looks down for a moment, almost like thinking of his next words. It hurts me to see Carl in pain. He doesn't deserve this, but this world doesn't give us what we deserve. Instead it wants to see you suffer, and that what Carl was doing.

When Carl looks back up, he stares at my lips and leans forward catching me by surprise. The boys lips are on mine and as quick as they were on, they were off. I feel my cheeks heat up and we're both blushing profusely, even if it was just a peck.

"I'm sorry-" He begins before I cut him off.

"Don't be, I'm glad you're my first kiss." I say with a smile. It might have been awkward but what first kiss isn't? I think.

"Really? Me too." He grins. "I've wanted to do that for a while, and when you were 'dead'; I just thought I lost my chance."

"Well, I'm still alive and kicking cowboy." I smirk and give his leg a small kick.

"and I'm happy about that rose."

___

Word Count: 988

Woo! First kiss lets go. I know that this was a short chapter but I hope it was effective!

Don't forget to leave a vote and comment your thoughts!